I put in an offer for a house on Phelps St. only to find out it has black mold in the attic. What should I do?

Asked by Susan, Round Lake Beach, IL Mon Sep 1, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Sue, Ron and…, Agent, Arlington Heights, IL
Mon Sep 1, 2008
Here's a local mold expert to contact:
Larry Schwartz, Safestart Inspections
847-913-9200, Fax 847-913-9203
Web Reference:  http://www.safestartiaq.com
1 vote
John Walin, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Thu Oct 7, 2010
I agree with Eric's answer. The seller may as well remediate the suspected mold for you rather the next buyer and then there is the mold disclosure issue for subsequent buyers. If yiu had a home inspection, your inspector probably can hook you up with a mold certified hygienist. There are rukes, like the one that tests for mold shouldn't be the same company that does the remediation,

Good luck, keep us posted on the outcome.
0 votes
Monir Mamoun, Agent, Denville, NJ
Wed Oct 6, 2010
This question is old now but buyers in a similar situation should make sure this information is disclosed by the seller as a condition of any offer. Susan, if you are still following this discussion, what happened in the end?
0 votes
Eric Egeland, Agent, Buffalo Grove, IL
Tue Sep 7, 2010
Have a mold inspector test & advise. More likely than not, the seller will take care of the issue....it will come up again on the next inspection.
0 votes
Richard Haus…, Agent, Buffalo Grove, IL
Mon Dec 7, 2009
Feel free to contact me if you'd like the name & contact info of the top two mold testers in the Chicago area...

Be aware that most "buyer agents" work for companies that list property for sale - and they also list property for sale - and typically spend most of their time and training on representing sellers - and spend most of their time with sellers. As such - they typically aren't that great in representing buyers. If you had an agent - they should have given you the name of mold testing companies (whether they are any good or not is another story..... I refer ones that are time-tested with years of experience...)

Exclusive buyer agents on the other hand - work for companies that never list properties for sale (they and their company never represent sellers.)

As such - they are specialists - not generalists - and thus - they are very good at what they do.

Exclusive Buyer Agents can never get into dual agency conflict of interest situations - as some "buyer agents" can. Google dual agency if you'd like to know more about the disadvantages...

I don't know if you put in an offer on one of the agent's "in house" listing or their own listing - but if so - they are only paper pushers for you - and can't be fully on your side.

Feel free to call me at 847-566-7558 or e-mail info@relocationadvisorsgroup.com if you are a serious buyer who wants to learn more about the different forms of buyer representation that exist in the Real Estate industry.

The last thing you want to do is work with a listing agent - as they are representing the seller - and not you. Hope that wasn't the case in your case....
0 votes
Elizabeth Sp…, Agent, Barrington, IL
Tue Sep 2, 2008
You should have the mold tested to find out the type. A mold inspector can then let you know the health hazards for that specific type. You can then also have a mold specialist give you a quote on taking care of the issue. If you are able to, you can then request the owners to take care of the issue or ask for a credit to have it taken care of when you take possession. The problem could arise if the mold has traveled through out the home.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more