I purchased the house in fremont with KB home. Is it normal lots of crack lines across the garage floor?

Asked by Hangzhou, California Fri Sep 26, 2008

Answers

9
Suzanne, Home Buyer, Fremont, CA USA
Tue Oct 21, 2008
Did you buy in Pacific Pointe Chaplin??? May be your neighbor-to-be. Did you close yet? Those houses have been sitting for almost a year now so the settling should have already taken place - get your own inspector.
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Wed Oct 1, 2008
Hangzhou, it may be time to involve an outside private inspector to give his opinion on what, if any, issue there is. Backing out of the contract at this stage may cost you some money, depending on your contract. Problem could be any of the issues suggested, and it might also be "hot concrete" pour that's the issue, hard to tell.

If you need a referral for an outside inspector contact me offline. I'm also in the 94539 area code, you could also email some photos that I could forward to my inspector for comment....

Steven A. Ornellas, GRI, ABR, e-PRO, CMPS, RE Masters, MBA
REALTOR® / Mortgage Banker-Broker / Certified Mortgage Planning Specialist

Steven Anthony Real Estate & Financial Services
Expect Excellence. Get What You Expect.â„¢
Cell: 510.461.6011
http://www.Steven-Anthony.com SteveO@Steven-Anthony.com
Web Reference: http://www.Steven-Anthony.com
Hangzhou, Home Buyer, California
Wed Oct 1, 2008
The report came from KB structure engineer.
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Wed Oct 1, 2008
On new home construction a 1/4" crack would slightly concern me. When you use the term "inspector" is this the Builder's employee or did you hire an inspector that is working for YOU? Best to do the latter.

Perhaps you can negotiate right now that if the crack(s) reach a certain given width the Builder will re-pour the garage floor - worth a try .... You might want to call a cement contractor to determine what would be considered as an above-normal width that would justify pouring a new garage floor.

-SteveO
Hangzhou, Home Buyer, California
Wed Oct 1, 2008
The insepctor came back and reports there are cracks at 1/4 inches.

He asked us to wait 6month to 1 year without fix anything.

We have not closing our loan at this point yet.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Mon Sep 29, 2008
if the crack is larger than the width of a dime it could be a common crack however a home inspector should have pointe dthis out and explained it before you purchased. if you did not use one you should have it checked for your own knowledge and if you did, call and ask him to explain them.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Hangzhou, Home Buyer, California
Mon Sep 29, 2008
Thanks for the advise.

The structural warrenty is not 10 years. It is only 3 years.
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Sep 26, 2008
Handzhou, its not unusual to have cracks in cement, the real question is how large they are. Once you start getting beyond a 1/16 of an inch and they keep getting bigger you just might have an issue regarding the work performed. Monitor the situation, and remember that you have a 10-year builder warranty to fall back on if the situation gets noticeably worse.

-Steve
Homa Moaddel, Agent, Foothill Ranch, CA
Fri Sep 26, 2008
Hi Hangshou,

Your best action is to hire a structural engineer or a civil engineer/soil engineer. If the soil was not prepared(not enough compaction) for the weight of the house you will see these cracks. There are other reason for the crack but I would bring in an export. You should have one year warrenty and they should take care of it.

Homa
Associate Broker
Prudential California Realty