I purchased a home with another person prior to my marriage. Can my husband buy the house from me and the other individual?

Asked by crmontoya, Philadelphia, PA Wed Apr 3, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


, ,
Thu Apr 4, 2013
I'm assuming you want the home and mortgage in your husband's and your name as opposed to you and this other person?

If so, then the proper way to do it is most likely to refinance and remove the other person from title and mortgage and add your husband on.

This will help avoid any transfer taxes on the sale of the home, if applicable.

Now if there is equity in the home that you owe the other person, then you would have to try to do a cash out transaction or settle with him in a different way.

Hope this helps!
0 votes
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Wed Apr 3, 2013
Hi crmonoya,

As long as it's a standard sale and not a short sale, he can. If it's a short sale, all parties have to sign an Arms Length Affidavit stating the buyer is not related to the seller so you would not be able to sign that without it being Fraud since he's your husband.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more