I never purchased a mobile or manufacted home before. If I pay in cash, how long will it take to clear title and I can move in?

Asked by Mawaldrp, San Jacinto, CA Fri May 28, 2010

Answers

3
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri May 28, 2010
Maybe 3-4 hours. Maybe less.

Buying a mobile or manufactured home is like buying a car. In many places--for example, where I am, in Virginia--you go down to the Department of Motor Vehciles and get it titled or retitled.

Last summer, I sold a manufactured home. The buyer and I went down to the DMV and in 3 hours it was his. It would have been faster, but one of the computer systems was down.

Now, that's assuming a couple of things. First, that you've already been approved by the park management, if the home is in a park. The home I sold was in a community that required both a background check and credit check. That typically took 48 hours. So if there's an approval process from the park, you have to build that in.

It's also assuming that the person you're buying from has clear title, and that you're dealing with all the sellers.

The answer below suggests a home inspection. That's good advice. If that hasn't been done yet, that can be handled in a few days.

But to answer your specific question--you posted your question about 10 am California time. It's possible you can move in and eat dinner there today.

x, , Hawaii
Fri May 28, 2010
I have sold many mobile homes. I've got two listed right now in Riverside. Is it safe to say that these mobile homes are in a mobile home park? Or, are they on their own land which is included in the purchase. They are two very different purchases.

But, either way I would say 10 to 15 days would be enough time for escrow to close. Possibly sooner if need be and it's okay with the seller. If it's an approved short sale or a bank is selling the home they may want a full 30 days.

If you need anyone to represent you and your best interests please don't hesitate to call.
Linda Christopher, Realtor 951-756-4051
Sandra Caton, Agent, Banning, CA
Fri May 28, 2010
In answer to your question, a cash deal can be closed very quickly. I would say it would take approximately 30 days or less. Even though there is no loan process to slow things down, there is still the matter of the inspections: termite, professional home inspection, title search, etc.

If you are in a HUGE hurry, it might be possible to complete the entire process in a couple of weeks, but if the home is occupied the sellers will need time to arrange for moving, as well.

If I can be of any service, please give me a calll.

Sandra Caton, Realtor
951-218-4645