I need help! location advice!

Asked by Rbs0528, 20746 Tue Mar 29, 2011

I am currently a resident of PG County, MD. I would like to move to another area, but need advice on locations. I am looking for a place with a decent amount of land, good schools, multicultural, family oriented, quiet.

Answers

7
Sandra Willi…, Agent, Washington, DC
Tue Mar 29, 2011
My colleague from NY is absolutely correct. What I suggest you do is drive around the surrounding counties to determine where you would like to live. It would also be helpful to you to meet with a loan officer, once you are qualified you will have an ideal of the county that best fits your criteria. Good Luck!
Suzanna Wood…, Agent, Springfield, VA
Thu Mar 31, 2011
Each county has their own website where you can find statistics on crime, schools and general information. Once you find some places that interest you start driving around and visit different areas. Spring is here and there are so many festivals and open houses to check out. Now you have a great excuse to explore the area.
Web Reference:  http://www.suzyw.remax.com
Gary Carr, Agent, Crofton, MD
Thu Mar 31, 2011
A mentioned in the previous answers; Realtors cannot legally comment on certain things with respect to fair housing laws. You can do some research online regarding different areas, but most statistics are broken down by zip code or city and only truly give a rough overview. Websites like Yahoo! (http://realestate.yahoo.com/neighborhoods) can give you that general picture.

I would suggest figuring out your price limit with a mortgage lender if buying and see what is available in your price range. Tour the area, maybe visit a few open houses and chat with neighbors where you can (most are friendly and happy to talk with potential new neighbors).
The Roskelly…, Agent, Gambrills, MD
Wed Mar 30, 2011
Hi RBS,

Fair housing laws limit what information a Realtor can provide. But thanks to the Internet there are great ways to check out schools and neighborhoods on-line. If you don't want to move too far from where you are right now to save on the commute there are some great ares just over the PG border including Crofton, Gambrills, Odenton and Piney Orchard. Best of luck!
Melissa Bark…, Agent, Washington, DC
Tue Mar 29, 2011
Hi

As the other agents have answered, it really depends on what you are looking for. You can try driving around different cities to see if they have what you are looking for, you can try looking them up online to see which cities are of interest and then go and visit them. Are you only looking in MD or considering DC or VA as well? Also, the type of house and cost will dictate some where you can go.

Web Reference:  http://www.wdcmetroagent.com
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Tue Mar 29, 2011
Depends on why you want to move and what you can afford.

I'm in Fairfax County, and like the area. There are certainly areas of Fairfax County that would meet those requirements. Depending on what you consider "a decent amount of land," though, you might want to look a bit farther out, such as in Prince William County. Or even farther out, such as in the direction of Stafford. Obviously, the farther out you go, the more affordable it'll get and the more land you can find. But then there are the trade-offs of distance from D.C. as well as some of the other items you're looking for.

Without knowing more, I'd suggest you look at some of the areas of Fairfax County within perhaps 5 miles of the border with either Prince William or Loudoun.

Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Mar 29, 2011
Since real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods, consider taking the time to research areas online and in person; much would also depend on your budget; for school information see link--
http://www.greatschools.org/