I need a recommendation for a realtor who covers New Canaan and Darien, CT. I don't want to tell my story twice and deal w/ two competing agents.

Asked by Bitsy Burnett, Greenwich, CT Wed Feb 23, 2011

I am looking for reliable recommendations from happy clients or from a top realtor who can show me that they honestly cover both towns.

Answers

21
Rachel Walsh, Agent, New Canaan, CT
Wed Feb 23, 2011
Hi Bitsy-
You're right. There's nothing worse than being tossed around from agent to agent and having to describe your likes and dislikes more than once. That is the primary reason why I became the only agent in Darien & New Canaan to work fully out of both offices. I lived in Darien for 11 years and have lived in New Canaan for 13 years. I am fully able to give you the pros and cons of both towns since I have lived in both and my children have attended school in both towns as well.

My website and blog will show you of my commitment and expertise to both Darien & New Canaan. I am a top agent, Diamond Level Top Producer, ranking #1 in both Darien and New Canaan and #3 company-wide. I give comprehensive market reports, real estate advice and incomparable service based on 16 years of experience. Website address: http://RachelWalshHomes.com. Contact me and i will help you get on your way. Rachel Walsh, 203-912-5908.

To note - there are a lot of similarities in the two towns, and both have excellent school systems. Sometimes the intricacies are ones some agents won't tell you about. Questions you should ask your agent: Would an in-town buyer buy this house? Would you buy this house? Does this street flood? Is there any pending litigation surrounding this house or its neighbors? Has this house been affected by the changes in the local wetlands and flood zone regulations? Does your agent live in the town they are selling or have they lived there in the past? That's important if you want an "insider's scoop." What company does the agent work for - do they advertise locally, nationally, even globally like my company, William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty, does? Internet advertising and internet presence is HUGE and the local, one office, boutique firms cannot compete with an international firm. Check out my blog and website to learn more about me and my company. I look forward to hearing from you!
Web Reference:  http://RachelWalshHomes.com
DarienandNew…, Home Buyer, New Canaan, CT
Sun Nov 16, 2014
I chose Rachel Walsh of William Pitt Sotheby's as my agent. She surpassed all my expectations and made me a client for life. I will soon be listing my fourth home with her and I leave everything in her capable hands. What she calls being a control freak, I call it her being in control of the entire process from the day I met her until well after the closing. There is not a better agent than Rachel Walsh and talking about her almost makes me want to move again. Almost. You will not be sorry! She protects your assets like they're her own, she sincerely wants to save or make you money, she is kind and really funny and she is ethical and motivated by pleasing me, the client. Awesome agent and person!
rita kirby, Agent, New Canaan, CT
Wed Feb 23, 2011
Dear Betsy , I am with William Pitt Sotheby's in New Canaan and my team member is Karen Brewer in Darien and in spite of the fact you mention not working with 2 "competing brokers" the realty is when working with my team, we are not "competing", we are complimenting one another.
We both know each town but the advantage with us is that Karen has lived and worked in Darien for many years and I in New Canaan. Nothing points to knowing a town better than having lived, raised a family and worked within that community.
It would be our honor and privilege to assist you.
We speak daily when assisting and introducing a client to both communities and we speak with "one voice".
And, by the way, we are in the top tier of selling and listing agents within our firm of over 1000 agents.
Kind regards, Rita Kirby 203 984-7665
John and Sus…, Agent, New Canaan, CT
Sat Mar 8, 2014
(I do NOT cover Darien so I am probably not a candidate for your business.)

Let's be honest. It is very difficult to New Canaan and Darien well and as Rita says I would be very skeptical of people who claim they do. Covering a town well means going to the Broker Open Houses regularly and watching the hot sheet in both MLS systems daily for new inventory and sales. Of the 300 agents who are members of the New Canaan Board of Realtors (and roughly the same amount in Darien) very few belong to each. Some of them are listed below. Even fewer do more than 2 transactions per year in each town. (So, it is not enough to have lived in a town.) Ask the agent for a list of the transactions done in each town in the last year. (Note which are listing side vs. selling side.) I think that in the end you will find that you will get a better result if you focus your energies on a specialist in New Canaan and a specialist in Darien rather than a generalist who purports to do both towns well.

John Engel
Barbara Cleary's Realty Guild
6 South Avenue
New Canaan, CT 06840
203-247-4700 cell
john@realty-guild.com
Richard Zarn…, Agent, New Canaan, CT
Mon Oct 28, 2013
My 52 years of Experience in New Canaan and Darien should be very helpful with all of your real estate needs. Richard Zarnik 203-966-1348
Corinne Beir…, , New Haven, CT
Tue Oct 22, 2013
I currently am in the same market looking at new homes for the schools... I have experience with realators and have bought many homes. I appreciate a candid honest real estate broker that is real. I found that in laura edmonds email: laura@bhrealestate.com

If i had to meet one more broker who asks me " so where do you live now" I was going to respond in a van down by the river... lol..
sage woodward, Agent, Greenwich, CT
Mon Sep 2, 2013
I would recommend Richard Breglia found a few links below. He has a wonderful reputation.
Jeff Turner, Agent, Wilton, CT
Tue Jul 2, 2013
Bitsy - Although I've shown properties in both towns and am more than happy to do so again, I consider my real focus to be the adjoining towns to the east, namely Wilton, Rowayton, and Ridgefield, as well as Westport, Weston, Redding, Southport, and Fairfield. Pretty unique that I am familiar with such a large geography, so if you aren't finding what you want in New Canaan or Darien, or just want to see what these other towns offer, I welcome the opportunity to find your next home.

Jeff, 203-981-6398
Stephan von…, Agent, Darien, CT
Mon Dec 12, 2011
Hi Bitsy -
It would be my pleasure to assist you in your search for a new home in New Canaan or Darien. I am a dedicated, full time, licensed professional realtor who has lived and worked in both communities for more than 20 years. My style is discreet, low-key, attentive and very analytical to the benefit of my clients – and I leave my ego at home! I would be proud to discuss my qualifications and provide numerous personal references at your convenience. I look forward to gaining your trust and remain with, kind regards.

Stephan von Jena
REALTOR®
William Pitt / Sotheby’s International Realty
1057 Post Road
Darien, CT 06820
(W) 203-655-8234 ext# 303
(F) 203-655-4046
(M) 203-434-8472
svonjena@wpsir.com http://www.wpsir.com

Proudly servicing the Darien, Rowayton and New Canaan markets.
Blue Trail R…, Agent, Stamford, CT
Mon Dec 12, 2011
Hi Bitsy,
I hope you have found your dream home. If not and still need some assistance I would be happy to help. I am a local expert in Darien. Feel free to contact me.

Brad Hay
203-450-8095
George Bakes, , Del Mar, CA
Thu Oct 20, 2011
Bitsy:

We have agents who cover both Darien and New Canaan. If you would like a referral, please contact me at george.bakes@cbmoves.com.

Thank you and good luck with your search.

George Bakes
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Web Reference:  http://www.georgebakes.net
Richard Bre…, Agent, GREENWICH, CT
Tue Oct 18, 2011
I am with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage in Greenwich. I have recently represented buyers in Darien and New Canaan and have closed on all four transactions. Two in Darien and two in New Canaan. You can contact all four of my recent clients for a recommendation and review of the services I performed. My clients are very satisfied with my services and will tell you that I am the best agent for the job. I know the local market as well as any other agent. I always work diligently to find my clients the best property for the best possible price in every transaction that i'm involved with. I do extensive reasearch on property values and always provide my clients with the most up to date and accurate data available. I have been recognized and awarded the International Sterling Society Award for top production in addition to being a team leader representing one of Coldwell Banker's top producing teams in the region. Please consider me as your buyers agent.
Judith "Judy"…, Agent, New Canaan, CT
Wed Apr 6, 2011
Bitsy,
I'd like to recommend myself!! I have lived in both New Canaan and Darien so I have experience as more than just a realtor. Additionally, you can get started on your search early by shopping like an expert with my listingbook link http://www.judyhendrickson.listingbook.com! Our office is 170 Main St., New Canaan, CT. We are located next to the library. Buying a house is more than just finding the right number of rooms, it's listening to your preferences and having the knowledge to back it up. I'll be happy to be of assistance. Additionally, the Coldwell Banker office in New Canaan provides a great team atmosphere which creates an even bigger network for all your questions.

Judy Hendrickson
Coldwell Banker Previews International
170 Main St, New Canaan, CT 06840
203-858-7876 (cell)
203-966-3737 ex 26 Office
Julie Peters, Agent, Darien, CT
Wed Mar 2, 2011
Hi Bitsy,
There are many agents that cover both communities but an important question to ask is if they are members of both the Darien Board and Multiple Listing Service as well as the New Canaan Board and Multiple Listing Service. This gives you access to 100% of the listings. My partner and I belong to both boards and MLS services as well as the Consolidated MLS. We have 41 years combined experience and would welcome the opportunity to assist you in your home search.
Ellen Christ…, Agent, Darien, CT
Wed Mar 2, 2011
I would actually interview agents from a few agencies to find the right fit for you. Think about what is critical to you when working with someone. With this being a combination of a financial investment and a personal investment it is important that you feel comfortable and confident with the agent you choose.

I have lived in both towns, currently am in New Canaan, work out of Darien and can offer recent references of buyers who have worked with me. http://www.ellenchristian.net
Stephan von…, Agent, Darien, CT
Mon Feb 28, 2011
Hi Bitsy -

Stephan von Jena
REALTOR®
1057 Post Road
Darien, CT 06820
(W) 203-655-8234 ext# 303
(F) 203-655-4046
(M) 203-434-8472
svonjena@wpsir.com
http://www.wpsir.com

"Artfully uniting extraordinary homes with extraordinary lives!"
Susan Kuberra, , New Canaan, CT
Sat Feb 26, 2011
Hi Bitsy,
Four years ago, I was in your situation, wanting to buy a home in New Canaan or Darien. It meant everything to be able to deal with one Realtor who knew both towns, so I understand your requirement.

I am a member of the New Canaan office of William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty, however, I focus on both towns because both are wonderful communities. I know that it really just comes down to finding the perfect home. I am a full time agent that can spend the time with you to find that perfect home. My motivation is your satisfaction, and I will work hard to achieve that goal.

Susan Kuberra
skuberra@wpsir.com
203-801-8500
Karen Brewer, Agent, Darien, CT
Thu Feb 24, 2011
I HONESTLY cover both towns.I hear what you are saying about competing agents.This has traditionally been a provincial business with everyone marking their territory.The events of the past few years has blurred this tendency.Ive lived in Darien for 25 years but know New Canaan well and have had clients in both towns.
Let me know if I can help.ill furnish references...whatever.
Further,just on the QT, if you want me just to answer some questionsor offer info thats fine too.Im a believer in karma. I'tll ge paid forward.
Karen Brewer
William Pitt Sothebys International
kbrewer@wpsir.com
Your colleage and "team member" above (Rita) said you only do Darien and she only covers New Canaan. Which one of you is telling the truth? Karen, how many houses have you "honestly" sold in New Canaan throughout your career?
Flag Sun Nov 16, 2014
., , Trailridge, Knightdale, NC
Wed Feb 23, 2011
Hi Bitsy,

Be sure to ask realtors who you are interviewing if they are members of both the New Canaan and Darien MLS. Similar to Greenwich, both of these towns have their own MLS systems and unless the agents are paying their dues and are members to both, they will not have access to all the comps and inventory.

I am a member of both New Canaan and Darien MLS and specialize in both towns. Would be happy to refer you to past clients. My mobile phone number is (646) 239-1596. I would be happy to discuss your criteria with you.

Good luck on your search!
Nicole Steel
Deirdre McGo…, Agent, Darien, CT
Wed Feb 23, 2011
Bitsy: I totally understand your dilema...house hunting is a process and the easier the better. I honestly think your best bet is to determine which town you want to live in and then pick the real estate agent to work with in that town. Although agents cover both markets that does not mean that they have insight in both towns. I am a 17 year Darien resident so not only can I tell you about current market conditions I can also give you first hand knowledge on the school system, goverment services, sports and extra curiccular programs Darien has to offer. Working with a real estate agent that lives where she sells is also an advantage when negotiating, I have many contacts at town hall and in other offices in town, which makes me privy to information an outside agent may not have. I would be happy to take you out in Darien, show you around our town and give you a true feeling for what Darien has to offer. If you want to get together or have further questions regarding Darien contact me at 203-554-0897 or mgmcg@aol.com
Ruth Mcintyre, Agent, New Canaan, CT
Wed Feb 23, 2011
Hi Bitsy,

I am a Darien and New Canaan Realtor. I am located in New Canaan and am an agent with Barbara Cleary's Realty Guild, a boutique agency and the affiliate for Christies International Realty for both Darien and New Canaan.

I would love to share with you recommendations from my past and current clients. Please visit my agent profile at http://www.newcanaanhomes.com.

I would love to meet with you and discuss your needs, get acquainted and show you the many areas of both Darien and New Canaan.
Ruth McIntyre
email:RuthM@Realty-Guild.com 203-253-9218