Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

Dawn, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

I need a good Los Angeles neighborhood for a young family?

Asked by Dawn, Los Angeles, CA Wed Dec 5, 2007

Hello! My husband will be starting a new job at USC in Los Angeles, we will be moving there from Miami. We are looking for a good neighborhood to move into, that would be a good place to raise young children, one that is very safe with great public schools. Our kids are ages 2 and 5. We'd like a condo or a home with 2 or 3 bedrooms. And preferably not really far from his workplace - USC in Downtown. His salary will be $120K, I don't know how far that goes in L.A. Thanks so much!

If his salary is 120K, he can easily qualify for a mortgage that can get you a property in and around his work. There are many options. However, I really need to talk with you further in order to understand your needs and your financial situation. I manage a Real Estate Brokerage and Loan Company.

Please email me at mikevachani@hotmail.com with your contact information and we can talk further.

I would love to help you find you new home. I specialize in the LA area and manage the Brokerage Firm. I can easily find you something in a very safe area. However, I will need to talk with you further in order to understand you needs.

Email me at MikeVachani@hotmail.com with your contact information and I will give you a call. I know how hard it is to find the right place, especially when you have kids. I have little girl myself.

Zipskinny uses 2000 consensus data, meaning its old - so I don't take that as being all that accurate anymore.

I wish I could direct you to specific sites for your area - take a look at zillow.com for area and values, and check MLS listings off Remax - they store a lot data to get a good sense of what's to grab.

Welcome btw!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2007
I seem to be repeating myself but this website can give you a good general unbiased idea
good luck with your move, and remember to pick a local realtor since they are specialists in their area
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2007
Hello, Dawn - You must be quite confused by all of the answers you've received here, wondering where the right place may be to live for you and your family. Being unfamiliar with an area is very scary when traveling clear across the country. USC is located in the heart of Los Angeles and is close to the 110 Freeway - which is usually pretty crowded most of the time. I have lived in the South Bay (Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes, Rancho Palos Verdes) and Orange County (Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa), but, I grew up in Altadena and Pasadena - which is where I assist people with finding homes. Pasadena is located just 10 miles north of USC. You can get there using the freeway or even streets. Depending on the time of day, the commute can be from 15 minutes to 1 hour. Pasadena is surrounded by San Marino, South Pasadena, La Canada and Temple City Schools - all that have attained high marks. These cities are very safe. The Pasadena area is full of places to shop and eat. But there are also residential communities in and around Pasadena that are quiet and safe. More questions? My name is Linda Lane-White. Contact me at 626/786-1231 or lindalanewhite@sbcglobal.net
Web Reference: http://www.pasadenanow.com
That is great you are purchasing a home. Well I handle alot first time home buyers in southern california.
Also if your husband is a employee of USC I great incentive programs to get you the home that you want
The most important thing to know is what you qualify for the price range depending on your debt and other factors. I can help you with this. As a Direct lender/broker you will get the best service.
sam perez
Web Reference: http://www.koolrates.com
Assuming that your husband does not want a commute of more than 30 minutes, I recommend the Los Angeles' communities of Silver Lake (excellent Ivanhoe Elementary School) and Eagle Rock (superb Eagle Rock Elementary). Prices in these neighborhoods fluctuate from about $600K to $800K for a home and slightly less for a condo. South Pasadena also has excellent public schools, although real estate property prices are higher there. These areas are safe and family-friendly. In addition, all these communities are close to the Gold Line Metrolink Rail System.
Hey Dawn, I read that you plan to move from Miami, job relocation being the reason. I read the answers from the other people about where to move to, all very good. I would like to suggest a couple of areas that are reasonably priced and very residential. The areas are just north of Burbank named Sunland/Tujunga, they are about twenty minutes drive from downtown, Pasadena and Glendale.

Any questions, or for further information call me at: (818)-470-1101, my name is Mark.
Out of all the places that were recommended, I would pick either Silver Lake or Laurel Canyon.
Dear Dawn,
I work in Palos Verdes where we have the #1 schools in the state of California. We have many USC professors living in our community . I would need more information to help you decide where to move. Try reading my blog for schools by googling me. Great schools.com is good to check your local zip code to schools in certain areas of Los Angeles, California. Also some of my clients check with the police department of the City that you like and review the crime logs. You will need to choose if you want to live near the Foothills above LA which gets very warm in the summer The San Gabriel Valley area, which I work in (Arcadia has schools rated 4th in the State), or you can choose the Beach Cities which I live in, both are about equal distance to USC. The Bech Citites are much cooler and clearer air.
Some areas are much safer than others and LA School District is rated very low but more afforadable and some of my clients consider private schools in the LA Unified Dist. It all depends on what you are looking for. You will love USC, my family is Alumni and it is our favorite, Even though my brother -in -law is a Doctor and does resaerch at UCLA, our competition. Welcome to California. You can google me at Mary in Palos Verdes for more help.
First you should call my fabulous mortgage lender to see what you can qualify for. His name is Leo Donato at Premiere Financial (818)370-6066 cell or (818)755-2808 office http://www.leoloans.com leodonato@mindspring.com. He is the best in the business! Once you know what price range you are looking in then you can better focus your search on specific areas. I think Eagle Rock, Montecito Heights, Silverlake, Glassell Park, Highland Park and Echo Park are decent areas that you can find something affordable. BTW, the areas right around USC are not that great in my experience. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Hello Dawn, Long Beach is another place you might consider. It's more affordable, has a great variiety of housing with both single family homes and condos, and has a great deal to offer culturally. You're also close to the Long Beach airport which has connections all over the country and is much more "user friendly" than Los Angeles INternational. There's also good freeway access. It offers neighborhoods which werebuilt up with schools that for many children are within walking distance. Another area to consider is the Pasadena area which also has some great neighborhoods. With the right loan, your salary can go farther towards a house if you are looking in the right areas. I'm familiar with both after having been raised in one and now live in the other. Please don't hesitate to contact me. There will be a commute, but many people do pick Long Beach because it is centrally located to other places in Southern California.
The neighborhoods near USC are transitional, meaning not great, yet...however USC does give a $50K bonus to those employees buying around the school, it's a great incentive. Palos Verdes and Rancho Palos Verdes are 2 of the top communities with excellent award winning public schools and a short drive from USC. Pasadena can also be great. You may want to come out for a visit to tour some neighborhoods to see how far your husband is willing to drive in LA traffic and see for yourself. Very best luck with the move!