I need a broker who can help me with land location and purchase. . .soil tests, load bearing tests, etc.

Asked by Leslie, Oregon Thu Apr 10, 2008

How do I go about finding one?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Chris Courtn…, , Eugene, OR
Thu Apr 10, 2008
Hi Leslie,

My name is Chris Courtney and I am local to Eugene for 20 years, State Certified Residential Appraiser for 15 years, and principal broker-owner to HouseNow.com. You can search for bare land or residential properties at :


We use google mapping so you can see what is where.

I can certainly help you identify bare land or nominally improved, residential properties where you can capitalize on existing well, septic, road, power, and plan to replace an existing, nominal residence such as an older year built home or manufactured home. This is good inventory to consider in that we may identify a residence with location and site appeal that would otherwise not exist. Sometimes, if condition warrants, you can finance these property types conventionally then go for a construction loan to build the dream house. Otherwise, a vacant land purchase will require at minimum, typically, 20% down and a higher rate of interest versus a conventional loan for residential purchase. We may even be able to identify a residential property where the site can be split upon which your financial leverage into construction is significantly increased. There are many ways to approach the search for bare land to build on, so I invite you to tap my resources. I specialize in Lane County and know it too well.

As for soil testing, load bearing tests, etc....that's the job of an engineer as Dirk indicated and it's all part of the permit process. I know several engineers in Eugene and can arrange for that consult. It is important for us to determine where water will be plentiful, and for example some areas of south Eugene water availability requires the supplementation of a holding tank.

I am available to help. Regards, Chris@HouseNow.com
Web Reference:  http://www.HouseNow.com
0 votes
Dirk Knudsen…, Agent, Hillsboro, OR
Thu Apr 10, 2008

This is a matter for a good consutling engineering firm. You do not need or want a Broker on much of this issue. That is not what you need. Much of this is construction related and very technical stuff. Sound's like you are doing a new home or a Construction build job. The land will drive everything on this.

For the dirt find a good broker and search your loacl MLS for Eugene. In the mean time you may want to interview consulting Civl Engineering firms and Geo Tech companies. In fact if I were you I would go to the local city and county planning agencies and ask questions about the areas you are wanting to live and or build. These planners and employees while not required to will often give you valuable insights into who the top agents and consulting engineers and planners really are. They can also tell you about upcoming projects, areas to look for lots, trends in the community, and who the top agents are.

The information is out there. Every agent wants to refer you to another agent and there is sure not a darn thing wrong with that. Having said that I would go straight to the source and be pro-active with this thing. Fact most agents do not work dirt and it is highly technical. Even as a developer of 20 years and Broker of 25 I learn new stuff every day.

If you outline your project a bit more I know you will get an exact name of a good firm in the area you are wanting to work.

Great questions and good luck with your project!


Dirk T Knudsen
Re\Mam Hall of Fame
Owner Broker
Re\Max Metro
Web Reference:  http://www.nwhomcenter.com
0 votes
Merrisa Berg, , Albany, OR
Thu Apr 10, 2008
Great Question! I know a Eugene area broker that you should interview. Would you like me to directly refer you? You could then contact them directly and set up an initial consultation. Bring your questions and concerns. See if you click and want to partner up. This broker can shepherd you through the location process, advise you, negotiate on your behalf, assist you in ordering all tests/inspections, manage all of the transactional details and work very hard to make sure you are making informed decisions throughout. I am going to reference my own website, so you can contact me if you would like me to give you this broker's contact information.

My best to you in your land purchase!

Merrisa Berg, Personal Real Estate Consultant
RE/MAX Integrity, Albany OR
0 votes
Larry Story, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Thu Apr 10, 2008
You will have to interview local brokers for that. I would lean a little towards someone that has new construction and maybe farm experience. I have had such done for clients but, I am in NC. I would have everything you are going to need to know about the land spelled out in the beginning of the search. Example: what types of soil tests are you going to need, what is your desire as far as topographic, most counties offer soil testing as long as you are just checking topsoil.

Larry Story
Coldwell Banker Triad
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more