I made an offer on a home, but the deal fell through. My relator only spent about 5 hours with me showing me

Asked by Truth And Justice, 67226 Thu May 7, 2009

around 4 houses. I found an edition that I would like to build a home in, all on my own. I didn't feel the relator really did anything, especially considering I found the edition, and the home. He is now threating to sue me for the commission. Can he do that?

Answers

6
Evin E. Alci…, , Durango, CO
Sun Aug 23, 2009
Regardless of whether or not you signed a Buyer Agency with this Agent, if he was not the procuring cause that let you to be interested in building in this particular subdivision, then he does not have any ground to stand on, Did he bring you to that area ever?

Please email me and let me know what all happened, I'll be happy to help you through this dilemma...

Evin

evin@weigand.com
Brian Walker, Agent, Chesterfield, MI
Tue Jun 30, 2009
Unfortunately this "lazy agent" scenario plays out daily, if you've signed an exclusive contract with him it will be a challenge, but not impossible. It sounds like he had nothing to do with finding you the property you purchased, which is ridiculous since he has access to all available properties. Stick to your guns and if it goes to an arbitration and you have to pay something, it won't be his full comission if anything at all. The contract works both ways, Realtors have to perform the service expected. Good Luck!
Betty Stroll, Agent, Greenwich, CT
Tue Jun 30, 2009
When you met this realtor what did you sign with him/her? If you signed an exclusive right to represent you..and it he/she has filled in the area where if you find something on your own, you will owe him a commission, you may. If that is left blank, I feel you wont. How long was your exclusive right to represent the buyer for? Any specific town? or street? or just a broad agreement..

If all falls. call his manager..

CARLOS R. FL…, , Clifton, NJ
Tue Jun 30, 2009
No, not unless you signed a buyers agency with him or her. Even if you did sign a buyers agency, if the agent is not doing his or her fiduciary to his or her client, you have the right to fire that agent.
Maureen Haney, Agent, Glendora, CA
Tue Jun 30, 2009
Please review anything that the Realtor had you sign, look for buyer's agency agreement. If there is one you may have a issue, most likly you can get this handled by talking to the agents broker. Hope it works out.
Lesley Hodge, Agent, Derby, KS
Tue Jun 30, 2009
Do you have a buyer's agency agreement with the Realtor?