I'm told by my realtor that lawyers are not really used in Philly when buying property-I've heard this 2x-why?

Asked by Bee, Philadelphia, PA Sun Jul 15, 2007

Answers

10
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sun Jul 15, 2007
Common practices vary by region. In New Jersey, closings are almost always through an attorney. In many areas of the country, settlement is handled by title or escrow companies, with the details of negotiations handled by the Realtors.

Even if it is not common practice to use an attorney in your area, it still remains your choice to do so if that is your preference.
Web Reference:  http://PeninsulaFirst.com
Stephanie Ed…, Home Owner, The Woodlands, TX
Mon Jul 16, 2007
Most states use Promulgated Contracts which are made by attorneys and the Real Estate Commission in the state to be used by licensed real estate agents. Often times the transaction goes smoothly and attorneys would not get involved. However, if you feel as though you would be more comfortable having an attorney review the contract and addenda, and also go over it with you...you always have that right. I tell all of my clients. If there is something here that you do not understand, please consult an attorney. Just because it is not typical, does not mean you can't or should not use one. Good luck.
Donna Saylor…, , Malvern, PA
Mon Jul 16, 2007
Most (not all) real estate transactions through REALTORS make use of standard PAR ( PA Assoc. of REALTOR) forms. These forms are well balanced, favoring neither the buyer or seller, and help to ensure many of the issues of real estate are addressed directly and clearly. This is one of the reasons many buyers feel confident purchasing a home without a lawyer.

While many transactions can be handled in a straightforward manner, there are times when the assistance of a professional such as a lawyer or financial advisor is needed. Your REALTOR will often indicate when this occurs but even if they do not, remember, if outside assistance would make you more comfortable then take the steps to get the advice you want.
Christine Ma…, , Philadelphia, PA
Sun Jul 15, 2007
It is rare that lawyers are used in Philly transactions. It is always the right of the client to do so. In special circumstances like estate sales etc. I may recommend a lawyer.
Gita Bantwal, Agent, Jamison, PA
Sun May 9, 2010
It is upto the buyer to decide if you wish to use an attorney. I suggest you use an attorney as you might feel more comfortable using one. In some states it is more common that in other states and some have a mandatory attorney review period.
Web Reference:  http://www.gitabantwal.com
Renese, Agent, Parks Township, PA
Thu Dec 6, 2007
A house can be bought or sold without a lawyer, however you can get one if you feel that you need one.
It is totally up to you. Buy and Sell wisely, and good luck!
Joe Michalski, , Philadelphia, PA
Fri Oct 5, 2007
Speaking as someone who is not a Realtor, I will confrim what your Realtor and those here are saying.

I have bought and sold several homes throughout the region (all in PA) and never has an attorney been involved. Nothing has been particularly contentious, and my Realtor is VERY familiar with all the ins and outs of the forms, helping make sure I get what I need and understand my rights. I honestly do not know what an attorney would have done if we involved one (except bill me thousands of dollars, I am sure!)

A good Realtor is a great asset.
Ki Gray, , Austin, TX
Fri Jul 20, 2007
Its the same here in Austin Texas. We rarely if ever use lawyers in transactions. Any client of course has the right to obtain a lawyer. But we use title companies which research whether the property has any liens. We also use standard contracts. The problem is that lawyers are used so rarely for residential when they are used in places like Texas its hard to find someone that has knowledge and experience about residential.

Commercial transactions are different and their are lawyers that deal with commercial transactions frequently.
Edmund Choi, Agent, Paoli, PA
Fri Jul 20, 2007
You are within you're legal rights to retain the services of an attorney for your real estate transaction. Any costs associated with said service is at your cost.
Web Reference:  http://PhillyandBeyond.com
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Mon Jul 16, 2007
It just depends on the state and sometimes even the area. Where I live it is pretty difficult to find a board certified real estate attorney to handle a single family transaction. They want bigger and better activities, like complicated commercial deals and working on builder contracts or loan documents contracts for banks. Here in Texas the attorneys and brokers got together and created promolgated forms that handle most common situations. This likely cuts the cost to the consumers and speeds up the process. We still give the customers the right to use an attorney, but in my experience it is very rare.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com