Home Buying in Discovery Bay>Question Details

luiso, Home Buyer in Brentwood, CA

I'm thinking of purchasing a weekend deepwater home in Discovery Bay. Will this be a good vacation rental? VRBO, Craigslist etc.

Asked by luiso, Brentwood, CA Mon Sep 10, 2012

I would rent it out all summer long, holiday weekends and any other weekends as needed. I live about an hour away. Thanks.

Hi Luiso:

One of my investors owns a deep water dock home that has been a vacation rental for the past five years. The home has been rented the whole five years with the exception of this past December. The home was getting some upgrades. The HOA allows monthly rentals on this home. This home has been a very good investment for client.

The home recently went on the market. It is fully furnished and the owner is willing to sale the home with all the furnishings. The address of the home is 2166 Sand Point Road, Discovery Bay.

We also have a rental handbook and vacation lease agreements. If you would like to learn more about this home and the profit of the home, please call me at 925-368-8638 or email me at crfaso@comcast.net. Or visit my website: http://www.RealEstateInContraCostaCounty.com

Corrien K. Faso
Realty World - Pigati & Russell Realtors
100 Cortona Way #150
Brentwood, CA 94513
I have lived in Discovery Bay for 25 years and am familiar with the waterways and hidden treasures that abound the area. The community surrounding the Delta is full of boat enthusiasts and weekend warriors. This place is a retirement community, thrill seekers destination, quiet humble abode and headquarters for homeowners who want a break from a typical fenced yard. Your interest in purchasing a home for rental is not uncommon, however, the majority of inventory is live in occupants. The commute can be rigorous because if it's setting and many people work from home. There truly is demand for places like this and other places such as Lakeshore and The Lakes are only imitations. Pick your tenants wisely as this place is a potential gold mine.
Hi Luiso,
Recieved your message, thank you for the inquiry, summer rentals are hard to come by, and yes would be a good vacation rental, in fact we have a deep water home available now 4821 Spinnaker Way. priced right at $589,000 if this is something that you would be interested in we can set up an appointment at your earliest convienance. Or let us know what your parameters are so that we can better serve you.
Any additional questions please call or email back! would love to help you find the right home/investment.

Thanks again,

Maureen Prince
Broker Associate
Marples & Associates Realtors
Cell 510-882-1030
Email: Maureen@MaureenPrince.com
Hi Luiso,
Both prior answers are correct with regard to rental restrictions. The DBPOA CC&R's specifically prohibit short term (leas than 6 month) rentals. What wasn't mentioned, however is that many of the deep water properties in Discovery Bay do not fall in the jurisdiction of DBPOA. Most of Discovery Point, much of Riverlake and the entire southwestern section of Discovery Bay are not in any HOA. For a color coded map detailing HOA inclusion, go to http://www.DiscoveryBayToday.com/HOAmap

Now with regard to ROI, I think you are going to be better off with a couple of less expensive, newer off-water rentals. You should run the numbers yourself, but I believe after vacancy, collection and maintenance factors (not to mention your time); a weelky deep water rental is not going to pencil out. You can find a printed version of a great 10 year ROI calculator on my investor site, http://www.BankOwnedSpecialists.com/ROI. Call or email me if you would like it as an Excel spreadsheet. I would be happy to help you.

Don Farrow
Broker Associate - DRE # 01771241
Marples and Associates Realtors
2453 Discovery Bay Bl, Suite 100
Discovery Bay, CA 94505
Mobile: 925-234-0856
FAX: 925-405-4688

Certified Distressed Property Expert (CDPE)
Certified Five Star REO and Short Sale Professional
Certified HAFA Specialist
Vice Chair, Strategic Planning Committee, Delta Association of Realtors

Hi Luiso

Actually the Discovery Bay Property Owners Association does not allow weekend rentals at all in Discovery Bay. I suppose you could do as you please but I would check with the property owners association to see what the consequences could be.

I would be happy to help you look , You can call me on my cell at 925-550-5028 or visit my website at http://www.discoverybayhome.com the site is updated every 15 minutes and you will not find a better search engine for Discovery Bay

Thanks, Chris Soukoulis

Intero Real Estate Service
Exexcutive Level-Top 10%
Nationwide Sales Volume Leader
It depends on the address. The CC & Rs for most of the deep water properties do not allow for short term rentals -- under 6 months. Although you may see homes like this for rent, the Owner's are not technically allowed to rent like this. It would be best to use a local Realtor or someone quite familiar with the restrictions. If you'd like a consultation or have more questions, you can reach me at (925) 766-3791. Best of luck shopping.