I'm really bad at comparing and contrasting different things in looking for a house for rent. Key things I should look for?

Asked by Hope Stewart, Evansville, IN Tue Aug 28, 2012

also what all comes with renting a house?

Answers

4
Sean O'Daniel’s answer
Sean O'Daniel, Agent, Evansville, IN
Tue Aug 28, 2012
It starts with your motivation to move from your current residence. It can be anything from, "To have a place of my own." to, "I need to find a better neighborhood closer to my job." This will help you decide how many bedrooms, bathrooms, and total rooms you need in the new rental. If you have worked for your employer more than two years and plan to stay, you may qualify to buy a house on mortgage instead of renting to pay the landlords mortgage. Once you have narrowed the selection based on location and # of rooms, you need to investigate the crime rate, flood zone, pollution rate, utility rates, trash removal, HVAC age, kitchen appliences, cleanliness, pest inspection, house pet permit, parking, storage, fire protection. Read the lease 24 hours before signing, write down all your questions and get staight answers.
The Goldenbe…, Agent, Evansville, IN
Wed Aug 21, 2013
I help people actually get qualified to purchase a home instead of paying rent. You will be amazed at the home that I can get you into at usually less than the monthly rental rates currently being charged.
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Tue Aug 28, 2012
An agent can help you with this - I regard a big part of my role helping clients bring the search and decision into focus.

Ask questions, lots of the them. No question is silly - ask about what is included in the rental and clarify expectations - around fees, repairs, orivacy/landlord access etc.

Also, I recommend you meet the landlord to be sure you are confortable with him/her. And be careful with unlisted properties - and never, ever, send money in advance of a firm agreement. that is a hint of a scam....

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Great answer Jeanne!!
Flag Fri Aug 31, 2012
Mary Getz, Agent, Evansville, IN
Tue Aug 28, 2012
Location, Condition, Square Footage, Parking, Pet and smoking rules.