I'm moving from Fairfax County, Virginia to Silver Spring, Maryland. My state income taxes will increase by at least 40%.

Asked by emel, Silver Spring, MD Tue Jul 8, 2014

I'm annoyed about this, but what are some items that will offset this increase in tax. I know that there are no auto taxes and no sales tax on grocery items, but there has to be more offsetting items. Thoughts?

Answers

3
William Rive…, Both Buyer And Seller, Silver Spring, MD
Wed Sep 17, 2014
Bottom line... Montgomery County is in the top 10 if not top 5 of the highest taxes in the US.
From that you get a Highly Rated School system, Police Department, and Mass Transit. Roads are not great and we have a 5 cent bag tax at the store. Our housing standards I am told are higher or at least more stringent than Virginia. Therefore, the cost to build in Maryland, specifically Montgomery County is much more expensive than the same model found in Virginia.

Come take a look at my house :) I am walking distance to the Red-line Metro, the Mall, Costco, and approx. 1 mile from an amazing 500acre Park with tons to do. Plus, my Mortgage guy, JUSTIN HILL WITH EMBRACE HOME LOANS will give you 1% BACK FOR CLOSING COST. (That's a $4000plus savings right there)!

11520 Clairmont View Terrace
Silver Spring, MD 20902

Best of Luck!
William
Bola Williams, Agent, Chevy Chase, MD
Thu Jul 17, 2014
Hey Emel,

I'm surprised no one has gotten back to you about this! Taking the metro can save you money if you live near a metro station. I personally go to a few of the farmers markets in Silver Spring to save money on food, check out the farmers market on Ellsworth Dr in downtown Silver Spring.

Aside from food you might want to explore Matthew Henson trail, Brookside gardens, or view one of the many various parking in Silver Spring which will get you out of the house and possibly save on utilities.

Maybe some other agents will be able to give you some better idea's but off the top of my head that is what makes the most sense to me.

Hope this helps

Bola Williams
emel, Home Buyer, Silver Spring, MD
Tue Jul 15, 2014
Anybody? I'm looking at the Metro and potentially there could be gas savings...