I'm looking to get into a larger home.

Asked by AJ, Glendale, CA Thu Mar 12, 2009

However, I'm currently upside down on my current home approx $100k and have little cash on hand. What options do I have ?

Answers

3
M.D.J’s answer
M.D.J, , Los Angeles, CA
Thu Mar 12, 2009
Not much...unless you can qualify for two house payments because you don't have the 25% or 30% equity for FHA or Conventional financing to count the rent.

Any further lending questions feel free to contact me and good luck to you.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Thu Mar 12, 2009
AJ
The truth is that markets go up, and they go down. I would encourage you to sit tight, enjoy your home, values will turn around eventually.

OTOH, if you wanted to be creative and try a short-re-fi, or something like that, you might be able to do it, but I don't see how you can also save up enough for a 20% down which is what you'll need to avoid paying purchase insurance.

Feel free to call if you have more questions.
Mario Villag…, , Burbank, CA
Thu Mar 12, 2009
I've had a lot of clients in this situation. The nice thing is that you are in Glendale and in Glendale you can get a good amount for rent. If you are able to rent your house and break even then there's still another obstacle. Since you don't have 30% in equity in your current home and since you don't have cash then you might have to go FHA. I believe FHA will now consider both mortgage payments to calculate your debt to income ratio and not consider what you collect in rent. I might be wrong and if they do consider the amount you collect in rent it may only be 75% of the rental income. You might want to talk to a lender that specializes in FHA as well as conventional. Good luck. If you need to be referred to a lender feel free to contact me.