I'm looking to buy a TH in the Bristow/Gainesville/haymarket (not manassas) area for under $220k. I'm having trouble finding a good realtor.

Asked by Disabledann, Fairfax, VA Fri Nov 9, 2012

We have been looking for a place for over six months now. We need to buy a place and move right away. How do we go about finding a realtor that will make us a top priority?

We have been working with a realtor for 3 months that has not shown us a single house.

She always tells us that she can show us the place 2 or 3 days from when we request to see it, and by then the property sells.

Also, she doesn't send us listings...we find them and send them to her.

I realize that our price range is low for this area, and that is likely why we are not being made a priority, but we need to move right away so we really need help.

Answers

14
, ,
Fri Nov 9, 2012
Hi Disabledan,

Out of curiosity, what type of financing are you approved for? Here's why I ask. Haymarket and parts of Bristow & Gainesville are eligible for the no money down USDA mortgage.

One of the best things about this mortgage is the monthly mortgage insurance is substantially less than an FHA or conventional mortgage and that's with no money down.

Here's an example: An FHA mortgage of $220,000 is going to have a monthly mortgage insurance payment of $221.15 but on a USDA mortgage it's only going to add $73.33 to your monthly payment.

Here's why this is important. You're talking about paying an extra $147.82 per month on an FHA mortgage due to the higher monthly mortgage insurance when that money could be going towards your principle and interest on a larger loan. Here's what I mean.

An FHA loan of $220,000, minus the 3.5% down payment = a base loan amount of $212,300 + the FHA upfront mortgage insurance premium of 1.75% = a total loan amount of $216,015. Take this loan amount at 3.25% and you get a principle & interest payment of $940.11 + the FHA monthly mortgage insurance of $221.15 for total of $1,161.26 + taxes and insurance.

To get to the same payment on a USDA mortgage, you could go as high as $245,000.

Here's the same breakdown as above:

A USDA loan of $245,000 + the USDA guarantee fee of 2.0% = a total loan amount of $250.000. Take this loan amount at 3.25% and you get a principle & interest payment of $1088.02 + the USDA monthly mortgage insurance of $81.67 for total of $1,169.69+ taxes and insurance.

So by simply changing your financing, you can create more buying power for yourself which should give you more homes to choose from.

The other nice thing about a USDA mortgage is you can actually roll your closing costs into the loan as long as the appraised value supports it.

You can use the Find A Pro function here on Trulia to find another agent:
http://www.trulia.com/voices/directory/20136-agent--48090

Please feel free to contact me for more information or help. You can also find info on my USDA Mortgage website by clicking the link below.

John Burke
Senior Mortgage Banker
Peoples Bank & Trust
(877)228-9069
we are currently doing conventional financing and plan to put 20 percent down to avoid having any MI payment.
Flag Fri Nov 9, 2012
Philip Senkus, Agent, Vienna, VA
Tue May 13, 2014
Disabledann,

Good luck I am sure someone who has already reached out will take great care of you and reassure your confidence in Realtors.

Philip
Marilyn Cunn…, Agent, Gainesville, VA
Sun May 11, 2014
I see that you have had a number of good responses. I am sorry that you have had a bad experience-it makes us all look bad. I am new to the business and have the time to give you my full attention. In this area you will need someone that is constantly monitoring this area and can act quickly. You will be very limited in this price range-but you know that. Contact me if I can help.

Marilyn C. Cunningham, JD
Homestead Realty
7524 Gardner Drive
Gainesville,VA 20155
Direct 703-869-4296
Bruce Bolgert, Agent, Manassas, VA
Wed Dec 5, 2012
I can help you. My response time is excellent and I keep in touch until the client is satisfied. I'm alway looking for properties for my clients and don't stop until they find what they need. I would need to know your situation and circumstances to know how I can help you. Contact me and we can go from there.
Bruce Bolgert, Agent, Manassas, VA
Wed Dec 5, 2012
Contact me at Long and Foster in Manassas. I search a wide base of houses for many different customers. The 220,000 price range is tight but can be done. We need to discuss your circumstances to know what suites you. Do you need to move quickly? You may be able to make a better deal on a short sale but it could take 6 months to close. Can you wait that long?
Cheryl Pryor, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Nov 9, 2012
Please contact me at ckpryor@msn.com or (703) 801-9985. In my additional search I did find a 3-level condo townhouse in Gainesville for you and your family that is very nice.

Thank you.
Cheryl Pryor, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Nov 9, 2012
I checked the three areas (Bristow, Gainesville and Haymarket) and could not find any listings within
your price range for a townhouse at the present time. I am happy to work with you but at the present time there is no inventory. New listings come on the market every day. Are you under contract with your current agent? If you are not I would be happy to meet with you at the Gainesville Long and Foster office to introduce myself and to clearly define your criteria for your new home. I will make you and your family a priority. Please call (703) 801-9985 or e-mail me at ckpryor@msn.com to schedule an appointment.

I look for to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Cheryl Pryor
Long and Foster Realtors
Northern Virginia
(703) 801-9985
ckpryor@msn.com
Andrea Sandl…, , Ashburn, VA
Fri Nov 9, 2012

I'm very sorry to hear that the Realtor that you are currently working with does not seem to be giving you the attention you deserve. My name is Andrea Sandles and I am a Realtor with Long and Foster and I would love to help you out with your home buying quest. I can also put you in touch with a lender in my office who would be able to provide information any current finance programs you may qualify for.

Please contact me at (703) 408-9489 or at Andrea.Sandles@LNF.com

Andrea Sandles
sonykim60, Home Buyer, McLean, VA
Fri Nov 9, 2012
I can work with you full time and give you no. 1 priority. PROMISE!
I'm back in real estate after taking some time off and am not as busy as I used to be.
Give me a call at 703 244 3997 cell and we'll discuss details.

SONY KIM
Associate Broker
Keller Williams
6820 Elm St
McLean, VA 22101
Glenn Stromb…, , Prince William County, VA
Fri Nov 9, 2012
There is currentlly a 3 bed 2.5 bath available in Gainesville for $183,900 and because it is a Fredimac property it qualifies for HomeStep financing, which is by far the best finance option today.

Glenn Stromberg ABR
Long & Foster Realtors
Cell 703-987-8053
Office 703-986-5730
fax 703-583-7655
Glenn.Stromberg@LNF.com
http://www.NorthVirginiaRealtor.com
Licensed in the Common Wealth of Virginia
Thank you you, but I'm looking for a townhouse not a condo. This place is really nice but the condo fee is about $400\mo. Basically my range for a TH is about $225k with an hoa fee if under $150 or a condo under $160k.
Flag Fri Nov 9, 2012
Chris Ann Cl…, Agent, Gainesville, VA
Fri Nov 9, 2012
Finding a full-time, experienced agent is key to success in a fast paced market like Bristow/Gainesville. It does take some notice to show homes, but nothing that can't happen within the confines of a day. If you end up without an agent and need a new one, my office is in Gainesville, I live in Bristow and have been at this since 2005. I have an Associate Broker's license, giving me a higher level of expertise. Let me know if you end up needing my help.
Fri Nov 9, 2012
I would be happy to help you find a home and make it my priority. I understand your anxiety and will do all I can to find you a home. Contact me ASAP and we can get underway.

Glenn Stromberg ABR
Long & Foster Realtors
Cell 703-987-8053
Office 703-986-5730
Fax 703-583-7655
Glenn.Stromberg@LNF.com
http://www.NorthVirginiaRealtor.com
Gamel Deen, Agent, McLean, VA
Fri Nov 9, 2012

First of all I am sorry that you are going through that with your realtor. Please give me a call or send me yours so we can discuss your needs and move forward. I will be more than happy to help you find your next home.

Gamel Deen
Classic Realty
240-882-4780
Buydmvrealestate@gmail.com
Tony Brula, , Prince William County, VA
Fri Nov 9, 2012
I have been in the business for 12 years on the Mortgage side and I can put you in touch with someone that does care about you and will show you houses. Call me at 571-331-3219, Tony Brula, Access National Mortgage and I also live in Manassas, but I'm familiar with Bristow, Gainesville and Haymarket the the Realtor that I can refer you to lives in Bristow