I'm looking for a real estate agent in the near future.

Asked by Sam, Bay Street Viaduct Area, Savannah, GA Sun Jul 26, 2009

What's the best way to evaluate an agent on Trulia and select one (I'm a buyer)? Thx.

Answers

6
J, , Los Gatos, CA
Thu Jul 5, 2012
This question is a few years old, but the answer is timeless and applies to many Trulia users.
One way to evaluate an agent on Trulia is to look at his or her profile, look at their postings (if any), and go to their website. It is also helpful to meet agents in person to determine if your personality styles mesh well together. After all, it is likely that you will be spending a great deal of time together and you want an agent that you are comfortable with. Some agents specialize in buyers, some specialize in sellers, but most agents work with buyers and sellers.
Happy House Hunting!
April Tavares, Agent, Campbell, CA
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Hi Sam,

Congratulations! I agree with Allyson. Take a look at the agent profiles and review their answers to the various questions that have been posted here on Trula. I am sure this will help you narrow the list. I think the second step is to create a list of wants and needs that are important to you and interview your short list to see how they align with those needs. Think of your agent as your business partner. There are many qualified and capable people out there, but only a few you would actually want to work with an interact with regularly.

Best of luck!
April Tavares
DRE License #0174219
April@AprilTavares.com
408.309.5471
Web Reference:  http://www.AprilTavares.com
Michael Robe…, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Sun Jul 26, 2009
Hi Sam, It is best to simply run your cursor over the agents name and read their profile as mentioned earlier.

Your questions are always interesting and create a lot of answers that help everyone here. I would invite you to read these questions in the web reference below. These will help you build your own criteria that your future agent must meet.

Wish you success in your home purchase aspirations!

Michael

http://www.MichaelRobertsHomes.com
Mark Burns, , Cupertino, CA
Sun Jul 26, 2009
Experience.

Someone who is working on listing and selling homes every day. Someone who has worked with hundreds of buyer transactions. Someone who has worked with hundreds of seller transactions as well (you need the perspective of what the seller and their agent may be thinking when they evaluate your offer).

Someone who knows the contracts, every word, phrase, clause, etc. Someone who can explain in detail or in summary exactly what you face as a buyer in Silicon Valley.

Someone who knows as many people as possible in the business. You'll do better when your agent is well known and respected in the industry. It might make the difference in a multiple offer or in the case where you need to do extensive negotiating.

Someone you can communicate with. Someone you feel is looking out for you and will find the right home for you.

Someone who is not too busy to help you. Someone who will not push you off with a less experienced staff member. Someone who has all the answers or will get them for you. Someone you can ask for references on a good CPA, Trust and Estate Attorney, Contractor, etc., knowing they'll be sending you to someone as good as they are and won't drop the ball.

It's almost a gut instinct when you meet a good agent you can work with. Call me. You can interview me, I'll tell you what I think, and you can compare as you would with any other agent. Read my answers on Trulia (I have answered a question or two for you already).

Mark Burns, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Premier - Top 2% Worldwide
President - PRDS, Contracts and Forms for Silicon Valley Residential Real Estate 2008, 2009
Chair - Region 9 for the California Association of Realtors 2009
President - Silicon Valley Association of Realtors 2007
Tour Captain - Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara area for SilVAR weekly brokers meeting 1987-2009
DRE #00896552 licensed since 1985
408-777-2083 direct
Web Reference:  http://www.markburns.com
Norman Aless…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sun Jul 26, 2009
Hi Sam,
I would do what Mike suggested, but I would also check out the answers that the agents gave here on trulia you can get the feel of how much knowledge they have of your given area(s) and also do they work more as a buyers agent or a listing agent .There are many well qualified agents here that would service you well, give a little time to researching it.
As for me, I work mostly as a buyers agent and I may have the experience you have been looking for, my profile is here on trulia as well as my many answers to Real Estate questions. I also have a web site that you can visit and if you like put in your own personalized property search. You can also email me if you have any questions.

Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
Michael More…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Sun Jul 26, 2009
Hi Sam,

First off take a look at the agents profile, see what areas they work in. Then check out their web site, to see if they have the information you are looking for. You can also check and see if they have any recommendations form past clients either here on trulia or on their web site. Select about 5 or so and then interview them.
Web Reference:  http://www.mikemoresco.com