I'm looking for a home in Los Lunas and will live alone; where online can I go to find statistical crime data by zip code?

Asked by demondra, Los Lunas, NM Thu Mar 21, 2013

Answers

8
Dan Gross, Agent, Los Lunas, NM
Thu Jul 11, 2013
HI demondra,
Laurel Summerfield reflects an individual, and unfortunately, very inaccurate opinion about Los Lunas and the Valencia County. I am a 28 year resident of the county, raised 3 children here and have been involved with the local Real Estate market for the past 7 years. Our kids attended the schools here and they all received good education and, scoring well on the national ACT and SAT examinations, were all able to earn scholarships to the state colleges here. When they attended college, they were well equipped to compete with students from around the country at these universities. The schools here perform well above state averages and are consistently improving in comparison to national averages. How do I know this? I spent 13 months on the Los Lunas Schools Board as a representative of District 5. I would match the administration, faculty and staff of Los Lunas Schools with any school district in the Southwest.

While it's true that the Valencia County Sheriff's office is terribly underfunded, each Municipality within the county has it own police force, and there is also the presence of the New Mexico State Police. As I wrote earlier, crime statistics are published annually by each entity, and unless something has changed, are published annually in the Valencia County News Bulletin. In my time living here (in Meadow lake for 10 years, on El Cerro Loop for 10 years and now in Tome for the past 8 1\2 years), I have had no more problems than people who I've spoken to who live in the city of Albuquerque. Because of the understaffing of the Sheriff's office, areas inside the bounds of the municipalities have better law enforcement and lower crime rates. In fact, Bosque Farms has one of, if not the lowest, crime rate per capita in the entire State of New Mexico.

Laurel must have a slow car because, driving the speed limit, I can get to Presbyterian Hospital or the "Big I" from my house south of Los Lunas in 20 - 25 minutes and to Cottonwood Mall on the West side in 45 minutes. The Northeast Heights is 30 - 40 minutes away.

Valencia County Does has a dog population problem largely because of lax pet laws here that attract people from the city who can come and be reckless and negligent with their pets. Hopefully that will change soon. Even so, I feel safe riding my bike along the network of irrigation ditches, and have had fewer and fewer encounters with dogs that are not contained.

I'm sorry that Ms. Summerfield is disappointed with the area, but I think her lack of experience in this part of the Nation has skewed her perspective. The West is different, and refreshingly so in my opinion. I can look in almost any direction and see mountains. I can travel 30 minutes - 2 hours in any direction and find some of the most interesting cultural and historical places in the Southwest. There is world class fishing, hunting, sightseeing, birding, and hiking opportunities readily accessible from Valencia County. Of course it's not perfect here, but the good far out weighs the bad.

Perhaps the best thing about the Los Lunas area is that you can find a home here that gives you room to breathe and be among great neighbors. If you want to choose a cramped lot in a subdivision, you can do that anywhere. But in the semi rural areas of Los Lunas and Valencia County, you can find a good sized lot in a nice neighborhood for a very good price compared to other places in the nation. I hope you don't let inexperienced people like Laurel change your mind about looking for homes here.

If you need more assistance with information or help locating a home, please don't hesitate to contact me. As a licensed Realtor, I can help you with any home in the area, including those that are for sale by owner.

Thanks!
Dan Gross
Edgar, Home Seller, Los Lunas, NM
Tue May 21, 2013
Actually, I just created this email address that I will be using when we list our house. We will be listing on the MLS, but will be selling for sale by owner. If you have an agent you are working with we are definitely interested in negotiating with them on fees. We are fair and reasonable people, so we're not the typical "cheap" FSBO sellers. Anyway, if you want to email me I can snap a few pics and send them over your way and along with a more detailed dectription of the house. By the way our gated community is called Ventanas Del Sol. Forgot to mention that in my previous post.

Email me here: BuyMyCasa@yahoo.com, my name is Edgar. Thanks!
Edgar, Home Seller, Los Lunas, NM
Tue May 21, 2013
I found these two links, but I couldn't, and have never been able to, find anything that maps out the crimes. That kind of information is really hard to find. The first one is from Trulia and shows the types of crimes vs the state and national averages and the second link is from the Los Lunas PD for crime stats.

http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Los_Lunas-New_Mexico/commu…
http://www.loslunasnm.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/1146

I have lived in Los Lunas for about three years. I met my wife about 4 1/2 years ago and she was born and rasied here. It has really grown on me and I love it here. I used to call it gangsta ville, jokingly, when I first met my wife, but it's really not that bad. Yes, there's not much here... a walmart and a handful of local and franchise resturants, but I don' care about that stuff. I work in Albuquerque so I commute everyday. It's close enough if you want to go into the city at only at about a 20-25 minute drive. Right now I live in the newer part of town near the walmart and the theater. I really like it here because it's really quiet and new. I need to let you know that you should really do some research on the Huning Ranch homes. They have had A LOT of foundation problems due to the way all these cookie cutter home builders prepped the land before building. Those homes go for very cheap, but can come with some big problems. Many homes are unaffected, but the stigma within Huning really drops their value. Anyway, I have liked Los Lunas so much that we even had my mother move down here. She really likes the country feel even in a nice lttle neighborhood. There crime here really isnt that bad and most of it is non-violent. I don't think the crime here is anymore than, say, Albuquerque. There are some bad pockets in Albuquerque. The previous post had some good points about Los Lunas like staying El Cerro Mission and Meadowlake. What I would take from that is, don't buy a house there. It's not like you can't drive through there wihtout getting shot. It's really not that bad, but I definitely wouldn't want to establish a residence there. Anyway, I hope this is somewhat helpful since I was skeptical myself before I moved here. Oh btw, we are closing on a house June 14th and moving down into the valley where the crime may or may not be worse, SO we will be listing our home in the next couple weeks. We live in a gated community at the end of Sun Ranch Village Rd just south of the theater. Very cute home in a nice quiet community. Like I said it is in a gated community so it feels and is safe. If you are going to be living alone this may be perfect too. 1360 sqft, two bedroom, two full bath, with very nice, low maintenance landscaping. Anyway, again, don't mean to turn this whole thing into a sales pitch, but reply here if you are remotely interested or have more questions about Los Lunas or our home that we will be listing soon.
Laurel Summe…, Home Buyer, Los Lunas, NM
Tue May 21, 2013
The last response makes me want to clarify so as not to confuse. Although my response about the ghetto like nature of Los Lunas and the most recent one may seem at odds, they're actually not. That poster lives up by the highway in newer housing. Not the kind of place I would ever want to live because I only want to be in the rural areas, but by living up there, you do live much closer to Albuquerque than I do (8 miles closer) and you do avoid seeing much of the unpleasant nature of the area. It's easy up there to dash into Albuquerque, enjoy all the great things there (great city!) and not have to deal with the ugliness of Los Lunas. However, if you like living in the country, like I do, it's more like a 40 - 45 minute drive to many of the places in Albuquerque - far enough to be a nuisance - and you will definitely see more of the homeless animal issues and dysfunctional population. I don't recommend this area at all, but if you plan to live in one of the suburban neighborhoods that border the highway, you will have a different experience than we do out here in the more rural part of the county.
OOPS SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATES!
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
I would agree with this. And like I said we're moving down in to the valley, close to where you live I'm sure. We'll have to pass many trailers that have chained up guard dogs to get to our new home. Yes there are a bunch of strays and unfortantely due to the narrow roads and traffic going to the outskirts lots of them get hit by cars. My wife and I are animal lovers and it definitely breaks our hearts everytime we see this. I wanted to add that my in-laws live just north of North El Cerro Loop and they haven't had any issues with crime. Near by stuff for sure. My mother lives up in Cypress Gardens, closer to Meadow Lake, and it's pretty quiet there too. Anyway, sorry to hear you have had such bad experiences in LL. Oh, and I now get to look forwad to the 40-45 minute drive up 47 too!
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Sat May 11, 2013
I don't know why anyone would tell you that Los Lunas is a great place to live. We moved here almost 2 years ago from the east coast, and while the weather is generally quite good, and we love living in a rural area, Los Lunas is a very ghetto, third world area. Animals are treated horribly, the animal shelter is constantly swamped with abandoned and abused animals, dogs run loose constantly and live in abandoned houses, kids are neglected and poorly educated in the utterly abysmal school system here, there is no hospital in all of Valencia County, only 8 paid EMT's employed by the county and no paramedics (though this is getting better now that the really bad private ambulance service - Living Cross - has some competition from a new private ambulance company). The best place to shop in the county is Walmart, and there are no truly good restaurants in the county. Houses are pretty cheap here, but decent land is terribly expensive. We are moving to Texas soon because this place is just too depressing. If you do decide to move here, stay away from Meadowlake and El Cerro Mission and you should be okay crime-wise. We have not found the area to be as dangerous as we had been warned it was.
Leigh-Jo Anz…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Thu Mar 21, 2013

A couple websites you can try are:

http://www.crimereports.com
http://www.crimemapping.com

Although these websites can give you an idea of activity for an area, I recommend obtaining crime stats directly from the local police department.

You can set FREE Los Lunas Listing Alerts at http://www.syan.com/alerts

You'll receive instant emails of properties that match your specific criteria. You'll kow about new listings before most real estate agents do.

You can also conduct a FREE and No Sign Up search for Los Lunas homes directly from the local MLS by going to http://www.syan.com/search

Let me know if you have any questions.

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
Web Reference:  http://www.Syan.com
Dan Gross, Agent, Los Lunas, NM
Thu Mar 21, 2013
Hi Demondra,
I like what Margie shared with you in the post before mine. Calling the individual municipalities is a good idea. Additionally, the Valencia County News Bulletin (505-864-3549) publishes a yearly crime statistics report . Each of the 4 Municipalities and the County statistics are represented there. Bosque Farms is the municipality that has the lowest crime rate in the county, and is one of the lowest, if not the lowest in the State.
I can tell you as a 25+ year resident and 6+ year Real Estate Practitioner in Valencia county, that it a great place to live, raise kids, and at the same time, enjoy the close proximity to Albuquerque and all the amenities there. Los Lunas has a good school system and good medical care available.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Dan Gross
dangross9@gmail.com
Web Reference:  http://www.news-bulletin.com
Margie Salame, Agent, Southlake, TX
Thu Mar 21, 2013
Hi Desmondra,
Typically you can call or visit the records department of the nearest police department and obtain the crime statistics for the zip code or neighborhood that you have in mind. You should also be able to go online and find the department of highway patrol's website for the Sex Offender Registry. As a former police officer, I understand the importance of buying a home in a community in which you feel safe. That said, I would still take precautionary measures such as always keeping windows and doors locked, trimming shrubs so they don't afford criminals a hiding spot, and keep a light on in the front and back yards at night. Crime can happen anywhere and you want to take all the measures that you can to reduce the odds of becoming a victim. Last but not least, please guard your personal information very carefully and avoid posting such on social networking sites. Never post and avoid telling others, except a trusted relative or friend, when you are going to be gone from home for an extended period of time. I hope this helps. Best wishes to you.