Home Buying in 02360>Question Details

Pd12, Home Buyer in 02360

I'm looking at a post foreclosure and it states to verify all home information because it was obtained from third party. What would the town?

Asked by Pd12, 02360 Sat Nov 6, 2010

hall have on record that I could access

Help the community by answering this question:


Corey Sprague, Realtor’s answer
When you say post foreclosure, are you referring to auction or bank owned (REO)?

If you are looking in Plymouth, start at the town hall across from South Street. You will want to visit the Assessors Office and get an Assessment and Sales Report. This will give you some interior specs, annual taxes, land and structure value (assessed), and more.

Next, stop of at the Building Department and see what permits have been pulled and get a plot plan to view the properties layout, set backs, septic location and so forth. Also, if the proper permits were pulled, it may provide you with some information regarding anything major that has occurred with the property.

Next, take a stroll over to the Health Department and find out if the septic is "title 5" compliant and if it had been inspected within the past two years. Let's hope it's gets a passing grade, but no need to worry. if it did not and it's a REO property, the list price will reflect that. If it's not Real Estate Owned, use the failing system as a negotiating tool and get your own estimates. Make sure to see if there were ever any other contaminants on the property.

Lastly, check with the registry of deeds and see if there are any easements, covenants or any little variance. Also, make sure the you will be able to acquire title to the property or can insure title. Kind of a problem in the current market. That's another tale for another day.

Be sure to bring a few bucks to the town hall. They will charge a nominal fee to get reports printed. Good luck!

Click on the links below to get started:

Web Reference: http://plymouthdeeds.org/
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 14, 2010
If you are working with an agent they can do that for you. Or go to town hall assessors office. They have the plot plan and the field card. If there is no interest in the house I wouldn't bother but you should before placing a bid.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 6, 2010
Great Answer, Corey, but town building department is on Lincoln Street off Route 3A (Sandwich Street).
The building department is located on the first floor and staff very helpful. Usually cost of copy of property record card is $.25/page. Keep in mind many homeowners over the years complete updates without "pulling" proper permits so some plumbing, electrical, and construction may need to be accessed to obtain permits once you have purchase a home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 18, 2012
Hi Pd12...

Lots of info is available at the town hall or county offices. Chain of ownership, improvements made, right of way(s) granted, deeds given for loans are just a few things available, not to mention tax assessments. There will be little information, however, about the present "conditions" of the home, however. Present condition should be ascertained by inspection, both by you or your chosen home inspector.
Work with a great lender that can help you negotiate the various options available to you. Remember, many towns and counties have digitized their real estate records, and you can view them online from the comfort of your own home!
Best wishes, Jim, Home Savings of America, 703 591 5626 ext 419.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010
You can get a copy of the tax card form the assessors office, most have it online while those towns that dont, you may have to go to city/townhall. You can also have your agent pull up all old mls listings or sales for this property, read the descriptions for any notes on updates made to the property.

Please see my blog for advice and tips on buying bank owned homes.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 6, 2010
The Realtor who is placing that information in the sytem for you to view is taskign the records directly form the tax records an town hall to begin with....basically yo cna verify that she has inputted it corerectly. I also would do a visual walk through and inspection of the property to make sure there were no additional rooms added onto the house without a permit. it could come back to haunt you down the road.

The town hall should be able to provide you with the tax records. Teh tax records will give you the square footage of the home when it was first recorded and all subsequent sale times. you will want to ensure that the squre footage is accurate.

Second, you will be able to find out the size of the property. In regards to the acres and approximate dimension size. I always recommend when you are buying a house; after you bought it have it surveyed. but the plat map should give you a good estimate of where to look for approximate borders.

A good realtor shoudl be able to help you out in verifying the information for you as well....
Web Reference: http://www.davedicecco.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 6, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer