I'm looking at a house in Hyattsville w/a crawlspace fndtn and no basement. Will it be tough for me to sell?

Asked by blaze, 60626 Fri Mar 28, 2008

I'm new to the area and am unfamiliar with how slab foundation and crawlspace foundation homes sell. I'm from Chicago where no-basement homes are a rarity. Are no basement homes dealbreakers for most buyers out here? I don't want to buy a home that I will be unable to sell in the future. Please be honest.

Answers

1
Bill Wootan's…, , Waldorf, MD
Sat Mar 29, 2008
Maryland has a very high water table, and I was like you, when I moved here from 25 years in Atlanta, and being born & raised in Indiana, was suprized that I could not find a rambler with a full basement, or the ones I did find were smelly and full of mildew! My wife, after living here for over 40 years told me there are two kinds of basments in Md, those that leak and the ones that are gonna leak - I know there is new technology that puts French drains all around the perimeter, draining the same into a pit that a sump pump gets rid of - that works great till the sump pump goes out or the electricity goes off which only happens during big storms - so after looking for over 3 years for my perfect home, I settled for a rambler without a basement, and only a 2 car garage (I wanted a minimum of 3). Have a qualified home inspector go over the home carefully (not a friend or family member) and spot all the potential shortfalls, and get them addressed before you own the house - and good luck, I have sold some real estate in Hyattsville so I am somewhat familiar with the area!

Bill Wootan - Leader of Team One @ C21 H T Brown Real Estate, Inc.
Web Reference:  http://www.billwootan.com