I'm interested in purchasing an REO home that has known permit issues. Is there any advice you can offer to cover my rear?

Asked by M., La Crescenta, CA Mon Aug 23, 2010

Where can I obtain the original floor plan of the home? Roughly how much is it to obtain permits for additions in Temple City? Or if I had to, are there any contractors out there that can quote how much it was cost to tear down non permitted areas? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Paul Cheng’s answer
Paul Cheng, Agent, Arcadia, CA
Thu Sep 22, 2011
most time you can find the plans at the city builders office. if you need, I can run down there for you if you dont know where or dont have the time, just send me the address you are interested in. my email is paulrealtor@yahoo.com
0 votes
Anthony Perez, Agent, Northridge, CA
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Before signing have a code inspector look it over small fee and good advice may save you thousands.

You may be able to permit it with minimal work and money but have a visual FIRST!!!

Not all un-permitted work needs to be torn out......

Any other questions CAcertified@yahoo.com

Tony Perez , owner
Web Reference:  http://www.CAcertified.com
0 votes
Matthew Bart…, Agent, Glendora, CA
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Hello M,

You might be able to locate the homes floor plan documents somewhere inside the home. Many builders will place these documents in a closet or inside a cabinet somewhere inside the home. Many homeowners do not even realize the documents were there and leave them behind when they move on.

With regards to your permit questions. You will need to visit the City Planning Department. Let them know you're looking to buy a home in the City and ask to view the file they have for the home. Any permits and other documentation regarding that home will be in the file. If you do not see the Permit on file, then you will need to explain to the City Planner the addition you have discovered on the home and inquire as to what it will take and cost from the City stand point to bring that room up to code if you infact purchase the home. You also must make sure to hire a property inspector. Ask the inspector to take a close look at the addition and ask them to evaluate any potential damage to the homes structure if you're infact are required to remove the addition by the City.

You can also contact Daryl Overlock w/American Home Source at (626) 914-2707 for any Contractor needs. Let Daryl know that I referred you and that you would like an estimate to either tear down the addition or to bring it up to code. Be sure that you gather this information during your due dilligence period prior to waiving your contingencies. Your Agent sould be able to help you coordinate these steps. Good luck!

0 votes
Sarah Padgett, Agent, Mansfield, TX
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Permits can be very tricky and you do not want to get in a situation where you are not in a good resale place later down the line. I would certainly start talking to the city, contractors, title company, local builders etc....hit the professionals first and get all the information you can to get a good grasp of what you are looking at. Do you have a good real estate agent in your area to guide the way? Representation always helps as well...let me know if you would like me to find an agent near La Crescenta.

Sarah Padgett
Century 21 Judge Fite Company
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Temple City Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more