I'm hoping to find a neighborhood in northwest indy with people who support a more natural lifestyle--Any suggestions?

Asked by Michelle Sweeny, Indianapolis, IN Mon Apr 15, 2013

recycling, gardening, natural childbirth, attachment parenting, homeschooling, supporting local farms etc.

Answers

6
Kord Golliher’s answer
Kord Golliher, , Indianapolis, IN
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Michelle,

While I agree with what most of the other Realtors have said, I do believe that there are some neighborhoods on the west/north west side of Indy that could fit your needs very well. The most obvious to me would be Plainfield. Plainfield is still close to the city, but yet still has a very country feel. Land prices are affordable, and finding a home with land for gardening is easy. Not to mention the west side of Plainfield is still very rural and surrounded by farms. Oncemore, the town has several large parks and an unbeatable trail system. Perfect for a young couple wanting to raise their kids to be active and "outdorsey". Additionally, Plainfield does have farmer's markets. The Chamber of Commerce Farmers's Market is worth checking out. http://www.plainfieldchamberfarmersmarket.org/
Lastly, the area does have tremendous schools, which would be a wonderful support system if you want to home school or not.

If you are interested in the area give me a call

Kord Golliher
317-430-7885
Carpenter Realtors
Kristin Tomyn, Agent, Carmel, IN
Mon Apr 15, 2013
I think it will be difficult to fine a "neighborhood" that is like that as many people that make these lifestyle choices are found in many neighborhoods. I eat mainly raw foods, recycle profusely and get fresh foods from traders point, broad ripple farmers market and grow my own herbs. Several of my friends and past clients home school and garden and attachment parent but they live in Butler Tarkington, Zionsville, Westfield. Really all over. Let me know if I can assist you in any way. I would be happy to help. email ktomyn@c21scheetz.com or my cell is 317-430-5558
Kristin Tomyn, Agent, Carmel, IN
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Michelle-
Yes we an search neighborhoods with no HOA which will help especially on the gardening front as many newer neighborhoods do not allow gardens that produce food (crazy). Depending on your price range there are some nice neighborhoods off Binford and Allisonville with families, gardens, sidewalks etc. let me know if I can set up a search for you that will help narrow.
Michelle Swe…, Both Buyer And Seller, Indianapolis, IN
Tue Apr 16, 2013
It's true that people who eat organic foods and wear their babies are in every neighborhood, but surely there are some neighborhoods have more vegetable gardens than others, right?

I currently live in a neighborhood where everyone plants tomatoes in their backyard. Dandelions happily grow in everyone's lawns, and we don't spray the grass with chemicals that will harm the ground water and our children. I know lots of neighborhoods would frown on letting weeds grow like that. Maybe ruling out those sorts of neighborhoods would help narrow things down a bit?

Also, I meant to say North EAST Indy: within 20 minutes of Castleton area. (Lawrence, Fishers, Geist, Washington)
Claire-Anne…, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Tue Apr 16, 2013
A whole neighborhood will be a tough thing to find but support networks for all the areas you mentioned exist. On the west side for instance: IU west has a great mother's support group, Moody's Meats has a natural/free range method of raising product, and Hendricks County has a fab homeschooling co-op that families rave about. So, my best advice is to ask around - finding one source will generally lead you to the next and so on and so on.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions - happy to meet for a latte to discuss all these cool things! Maybe my discoveries can help you pinpoint an area/settle in faster.

Claire-Anne
Carpenter Realtors
317.345.6640
caikman@callcarpenter.com
Tiff Atkinson, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Tue Apr 16, 2013

I live and work in Pike Township (northwest Indy) I would be happy to go over various neighborhoods with you, but North Indy would be a better fit.

Tiff Atkinson
317-612-4545 (call or text)