tzankster, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

I'm gay in my late 40's moving to Atlanta. I do not want to live in Midtown. What neighborhoods are progressive and welcoming?

Asked by tzankster, Atlanta, GA Thu Feb 21, 2013

Answers

17
Tony Teixeira, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Fri Feb 22, 2013
tzankster,

It is exactly the type of neighborhood where everyone pays attention to what's happening and what I hear all of the time is... "like neighborhoods used to be".
My partner and I have been living here for nearly 7 years and both agree, after living in other states and other countries, this is the best place we have ever found.

You like to travel.... we are a 20 minute drive to the airport and your house is safe while you are gone.

Staying below 200K may be a bit of a struggle in Tributary. There may be more distressed homes in the future, but the neighborhood is on the property value upswing and it's an exciting time.

Call, text or e-mail me any time,
Tony Teixeira
770-851-5050
tonysellsatlanta@gmail.com
tony@muffleyhomes.com
Natallie Kei…, , Atlanta, GA
Mon Feb 25, 2013
We are hosting a home tour event on March 30th in a historic gem of an area, Capitol View. It's very near downtown on the southwest side of the city. Lots of brick homes with decent size lots, parks. Come out and have a look.
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Sun Feb 24, 2013
Tony gets a thumbs up - dollar for dollar, Tributary delivers on what you seek.

You might also consider Grant Park, Riverside...so many other choices.

Thank you for serving your country; I'm a former US Army officer and would be happy to help you find value in our seller's market.

Please call me if you want an interview, OK?
Brian Maguire, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
tzankster, I applaud you for your candor, and thank you for your service to our country. As you get close to interviewing agents, I would welcome the chance to speak with you. I feel the same way - I chose a gay friendly area to be comfortable, but I did not want to be in a nearly exclusively gay neighborhood. Some of the areas mentioned in the prior responses I would not consider as "diverse" as you may be looking for however.
tzankster, Home Buyer, Atlanta, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Lee—I’ve spent my life in the military and this is my first home purchase. I do not want to be surrounded by people just like me but want to have neighbors who at least welcome me. I’m afraid that living in midtown would take away some of that diversity. I want neighbors who are gay/straight/young/old/families/black/white/asian/hispanic/middle class/working class. I’m more of a sit on the porch with my dog guy than a dancing/brunch city guy.

To compound things I’m looking to travel frequently and will leave the house for months at a time so I want neighbors who would notice if someone is walking down the street with my TV. When I lived in San Antonio (lower middle class block mostly Hispanic) I knew all my neighbors. I was on the road constantly for work but was never fearful of my home being robbed (my neighbor had a key to my house from when his children’s Godparents owned it and I never felt the need to ask for it back). I’m looking for a home with a porch and a yard and established neighbors. Midtown just seems too transient for me. I’m looking to spend 100-200K and will not move until this fall.
Adair Park.
Flag Thu Mar 7, 2013
Tony Teixeira, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
tzankster, go west young man!

It's not what you hear very often but I do think the West side is about to explode. I've been living in an amazing place called Tributary (400 houses) for the last 6 years. The homes are all Earthcraft Certified and the social fabric is so thick! Everyone here is amazing with a vibrant community feeling where everyone knows everyone. Organized events happen every month.

I've done the midtown scene and it just doesn't compare to this. And, if I want some midtown, it's 20 miles away. 20 minutes to the airport or Vinings too. Come see it to believe it.

If you saw Ashton Kutcher's movie "Killers" then you've seen a bit of Tributary, it was shot there.

Some pretty big moves have been happening in and around Tributary in the last 6 months and I foresee more good happenings in the future. There's an onsite restaurant, tennis, pools, a gym, parks, basketball, trails and it backs up to State Park. Call text or e-mail me any time to see it.

Tony Teixeira
770-851-5050 (CELL)
404-478-8512 (E-FAX)
tony@muffleyhomes.com
tonysellsatlanta@gmail.com
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
4 good answers - too many too mention and I got a question:

What are your reasons for not wanting to live in Midtown? Knowing those will help me understand a more exact idea of what you mean when you say progressive and welcoming.
Web Reference:  http://intowninsider.com/
Otha Greer, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
In Atlanta, your choices are endless. You can live intown and not necessarily Midtown. You should check out Virginia Highlands, Grant Park, Glenwood Park, East Atlanta and the up and coming Old Fourth Ward to name a few. Your budget and personal needs will help to determine where you might want to focus. I specialize specifically with intown communities and could put you in touch with a lender to get you started, if you require financing. Give me a call, and we can discuss your needs further.

Otha Greer
The Real Estate Company
http://www.therealestatecompany.biz
otha@therealestatecompany.biz
404.578.8483
Tyler Willis, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
Atlanta has a ton if great neighborhoods that a diverse and full if life and things to do. Especially when it comes to Intown Atlanta. I would recommend Grant Park, East Atlanta Village, Kirkwood, and even Decatur is great. It all depends on your budget and what exactly you want out of a neighborhood. Are restaurants and shopping important, schools, walkability, and other factors.

I definitely recommend sitting with a REALTOR or two to discuss the exact details you want in not only your neighborhood; but the home you will be living in as well.

Any questions feel free to contact me anytime. I'd be happy to help.

Tyler Willis, REALTOR®
Keller Williams Realty Intown Atlanta
621 North Ave NE, Suite C-50
Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404)541-3500
Direct: (678)656-5524
tylerwillisintown.kwrealty.com
Stephany Cro…, Agent, Decatur, GA
Wed Mar 6, 2013
I live in Avondale Estates, and in the last census, this city had more gay couples per capita than any other city in Georgia. We are 7 miles from downtown Atlanta and next to Decatur. I'd love to show you around our 1920's town. Please contact me at 404-422-0747 or stephany@jimcross.com.
Stephany Cross
Keller Williams Metro
Bruce Ailion, Agent, Marietta, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
All good answers. I understand Atlanta is currently the most popular gay city in the US with high levels of population and acceptance. With a few exceptions you should not have difficulty. You might consider a gay REALTOR or gay friendly REALTOR to assist your search. There are a number of websites that will help you identify professional assistance.

Bruce Ailion,
RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
An Atlanta Real Estate Expert Serving Clients Since 1979
RE/MAX Hall of Fame – REALTOR Phoenix Award
CRS, CRB, ABR, MSRE, CDPE, e-PRO, ESQ
Certified Residential Specialist
Certified Real Estate Broker
Accredited Buyers Agent
MS Real Estate and Urban Affairs
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Certified Internet Professional
203K Certified Specialist
Attorney
2050 Roswell Road
Marietta GA 30062
404-978-2281 Direct
404-386-3682 Assistant Robin
678-760-6266 Buyer’s Agent Adam
770-973-9700 Office
bruce@locationlocationlocation.com
http://www.LocationLocationLocation.com
Nia Knowles, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
Westview is a great neighborhood to call home- see http://www.westviewatlanta.com
Web Reference:  http://Areawestrealty.com
Katya Cooper, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
Virginia Highlands, Dunwoody, Brookhaven, Buckhead

Katya Cooper
Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Perimeter
Realtor ®
Email: katya@kw.com
Isabel Elses…, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
We have Dunwoody, Milton, Johns Creek and Suwanee to name a few.
These cities are centrally located to major highways.
You will find pedestrain friendly parks and sidewalks for daily exercising.
Bountiful shopping and restaurants and good medical services as well.

Isabel Elsesser, Realtor
First United Realty
Save Time & Money!
http://www.isabelsnewhomes.com
http://www.Buford.georgiamls.com
Direct 770-307-8751
Fax 888-799-3184
Full Time from 1993-2013

Free Buyers Agent
Brian Maguire, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
I chose East Point, for several reasons. Close by is college Park as well, with a goo selection of historic homes. Budget comes into play of course, as well as what type of commute you may have to worry about if working.

I have been focused on the LGBT family since I got licensed in 1999, would be happy to chat further with you and guide you to a safe and progrsssive area.
Web Reference:  Http://buy-atlanta.com
Aleta C. Sau…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
Sorry for the typos! Typing from phone. :-)
Aleta C. Sau…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
There are many progressive throughout the metropolitan Atlanta area, Brookhaven, Vinings, Inman Park,etc. it depends on what kind of services you are looking for. I would love to assist you with search. You may contact me at

Aleta C. Saunders
PalmerHouse Properties
678-849-6920
Aleta.c.saunders@gmail.com

Look forward to welcoming you to Atlanta!