I'm disabled and living on a fixed income. Interested in buying condo w. amenities in Reno.

Asked by Alicia Heffley, Pompano Beach, FL Sat Nov 9, 2013

I'm currently living in NJ, so lots of travel will be a hassle and drain my finances. How much of the paperwork can be taken care of electronically? Will I actually have to be There for the closing?

Answers

4
Madeline Zook, , Reno, NV
Sun Nov 10, 2013
Hi Alicia;

I lived in the tri-state area for much of my life- still have brothers and relatives there! NJ is a great state, but I understand it's gotten incredibly expensive. Plus the weather. But it's vastly different from here in Reno.

First off, I just want to mention that we are at 5000 feet above sea level- so if you have any heart issues or breathing difficulties, well, you might want to consider someplace around Las Vegas for your move west. I've had several clients who were forced to leave this area because of their medical conditions, and I certainly wouldn't want you to move across the nation and then find out you made the wrong choice!

If that is not an issue for you, then you have some great options here. First, we have several retirement communities which have single level homes where the yards are small, and yard care is included in the monthly association fees. In particular, there is a beautiful gated community in Sparks called Toscana which has gorgeous homes and a great clubhouse with lots of activities and a strong sense of community. Sparks also gets less winter weather than some of our other retirement communities, such as Del Webb in Somerset. Toscana is also level, which means it's easier to navigate, and there's a super nice shopping center just outside the gates.

There is also a nice community in SW Reno, again, close to shopping, etc.

If a condo suits you better, there are many options- so if you could further describe what you are seeking, I could give you some better choices.

We do get 4 seasons here- although the last years have been drought years, we can get a lot of snow here in the winter on occasion. But in general our weather is pretty mild in the winters- and lots of sunshine. It's not unusual for it to snow a few inches at night and melt during the day- the temperature swings between day and night are huge- last night it was 27 degrees and we're projected to reach 70 today! Fall and spring are delightful. Summers are hot, but nothing compared to NJ because we have hardly any humidity. It makes a huge difference!

My brother was stunned to discover how beautiful this area is, and how many lakes and streams we have. Yes, we actually DO have water! And trees! It's just nothing like an eastern forest, but we also don't have more than occasional summer rain.

Reno has festival after festival, a great arts community and a lot to offer. I've been here for well over a decade, and I am glad I made the move!

As far as helping you move without seeing the new property, that's a snap- I've done this time after time. I can take a zillion photos, videos, whatever you need to make you feel comfortable with your decision. No problem with paperwork, etc. I make it easy! Just drop me a line if you would like my help madeline@sierranvrealestate.com
my question is whether this would be premauture (to schecdule showings)?
Flag Sun Mar 23, 2014
Dear Ms. Zook;
I'd like to thank you for your gracious reply. Glad to here there are East-Coasters in the area who are not dying of homesickness!
Because this is such a big move for me (my first ever out of the local states and my first ever alone), I've been taking a great deal of time researching the idea of relocating to Reno. I hope to make it my last relocation, as my health is not so good. I have severe degenerative arthritis in my spine, for which I rely on a Pain-Management clinic. I may have some spinal surgery coming up in years ahead, so I'm very concerened with the status of your health services. I DO have mild COPD (and at the moment , am even in the hospital for pneumonia.
So, in terms of altitude, you are right and I may have a problem there. Speaking to my doctor, he says that the only way to know for sure if, or how much of a problem this might be; is to take a trip to the area. I'm hoping to be able to come some time this spring/summer for a week. My questi
Flag Sun Mar 23, 2014
Karen Degney, Agent, Reno, NV
Sun Nov 10, 2013
Everything can be done by fax or email, I would be happy to send you some listings to look at and find out what is available in our area. My email is Karen.Degney@cbselectre.com. Let me know your price point and special requests such as ground floor only, minimum square footage, one level only, highest amount of monthly dues, etc.
Karen
Don Robertson, Agent, Reno, NV
Sat Nov 9, 2013
Yes, you can do it all electronically. However since you are not going to be here to see the property, you need to build some trust with a local Realtor to advise you and help you find the right property.
Ron Bell, Agent, Reno, NV
Sat Nov 9, 2013
These days we have electronic signatures that are user friendly. For the closing day, you can sign at a title company in your town or have a 'traveling notary' come right to your town. If you do the traveling notary, make sure it is someone versed in title/real estate matters in case you have questions or make sure there is a Realtor, Mortgage Broker, Attorney, Title Officer etc. available to call if any questions.

Oh yeah, one more thing; most title companies will not take an out of town check or cashier's check so if you do an electronic transfer, have the title company FAX you the wire instructions and not via e mail. Hacker's may try and trick you into thinking it is the title company e mailing you wire instructions but in fact it goes in there account. The title company will never change their wire instructions if you get an e mail or phone call instructing otherwise by scammers.

I used to sell second homes in Tahoe and now sell a lot of home's to Californian's here in Reno so I am very familiar with out of town signing. Not to date myself but I answer calls and e mails which can be helpfull when purchasing a home.

I can help you if you would like.
Ron Bell
775-750-5256