I'm considering moving out of my rental on the UES and buying an apartment in Brooklyn - I'm 27 and would be

Asked by Kat, New York, NY Sat Apr 19, 2008

first time buyer. My budget is about $600,000, and ideally I'm looking for a 1-bedroom place no more than 15 minutes from the subway, and I'd like it to be on a line that's accessible to Union Square where I work. I'm looking for a cute/trendy/up and coming area with a chill but fun vibe. Any suggestions on what areas I should check out to get the best bang for my buck?

Also, are there any incentives for first-time buyers? My parents have offered to help me buy the place - do I still qualify as a first-time buyer?

Thanks very much!

Answers

3
Alen Moshkov…, Agent, New York, NY
Wed May 21, 2008
Hey Kat.

Kat even with your parents helping you out you are still a first time buyer. There might be something that a Lender could do, but honestly I haven't come across that, and if you were refering to the seller more likely than not you being a first time buyer won't make them lower the price.
$600K can buy you something good out here in Brooklyn. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Area, I lived in brooklyn for the past 16 years and we have some great spots. Park Slope is rated in the top 10 neighborhoods in America, it's trendy, tonds of restaurants, bars, stores and a park. There is also Fort Greene which is a very hot area right now and very close to all the major train lines, Williamsburg would be another area, Boerum Hill, and have you ever considered Long Island City? Many people don't know about it, but when they see it they just fall in love. Great Views of the city, its 7 minutes by train to midtown and it's up and coming area which also makes it a great investment.

Kat give me a call or shoot me an email, we can go over what your real wants and needs are for your apartment and anything else which you may have questions about.

Looking forward to speaking to you
Warmest Regards
~Alen
Diane, Home Buyer, Brooklyn, NY
Wed Apr 30, 2008
The area near the Q train at Cortelyou is really an adorable little "village." I think it's Ditmas Park but I'm not sure. You should check it out. But for your budget, you could actually afford Park slope, even if it's a small apartment.
Gerry Vazquez, Agent, NY,
Sun Apr 20, 2008
Kat, I can't help you but I'm sure one of my Brooklyn colleagues could. Email me at vazquezgerry@yahoo.com and I'll put you in touch w/a Douglas Elliman agent that specializes in finding condo/coops for Manhattan migrants. Gerry