I'm buying a house where my agent was not involved in any step, he was not even aware of this deal; Can he

Asked by Nina, New Hampshire Wed Jul 23, 2008

still request a commission? (for the service he has not provided). Thanks

Answers

3
Tera Morgan, Agent, Eustis, FL
Wed Jul 23, 2008
Who showed the house to you and wrote up the contract? You as the buyer don't pay the commission, that comes from the seller.
Trunda Rogers, Agent, Dallas, TX
Wed Jul 23, 2008
Hi Nina,

A good agent doesn't really begin to earn a commission until the home is found. That's when you need an agent the most. If you excluded your agent from negotiating the contract on your behalf, protecting your interests within the contract, meeting contractual deadlines, scheduling inspections, working with your lender, coordinating with the title company, etc... then you're proceeding without a safety net.

If you're not under a signed agreement, you can represent yourself. Just know that a whole host of things can go wrong and if you're not prepared to deal with them or are unaware of their existence, it could cost much more than the agent's commission in the long run; Which will come out of your pocket instead of the seller's.

If you are under a signed agreement, breathe a sigh of relief and get ready for a smoother transaction. If you have any concerns during this time, contact the broker and express your concerns.

Good Luck.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Wed Jul 23, 2008
Hi Nina:

If your agent has absolutely no idea of this house and unless you sigend a Buyers Representation with him, I think you are fine.

By why if he as been of service to you the whole time except for this, why would you want to exclude him?

Sylvia