I'm buying a condo in Jupiter, FL. Is it necessary or advisable to have an attorney represent me at closing?

Asked by Bob, Jupiter, FL Wed Aug 20, 2008

Answers

5
George Sente…, Other Pro, Bridgeport, CT
Fri Aug 22, 2008
yes bob get an attorney.
Its called caveat emptor
Kimberly Kir…, Agent, Boynton Beach, FL
Fri Aug 22, 2008
The Title Companies are qualified and knowledgeable - Yes. But, I would suggest for the fee Attorney's charge, it is definitely worth the peace of mind.
Myke Atwater, Agent, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Wed Aug 20, 2008
Title companies are perfectly qualified and knowledgeable about looking out for both parties needs as you move toward a closing. Sometimes an attorney can complicate matters if they are not real familiar with the real estate transaction. Title companies do multiple transactions in any given day, so actually have the most experience to work on your behalf. Unless you are anticipating some sort of unusual concern, I would let the title company handle it. If this is preconstruction, not using a FAR 9 contract, I would recommend that you take the contract to an attorney for his review, but that attorney is not needed at the closing table.
Web Reference:  http://www.MykeTriebold.com
Thom Montrois…, Agent, Jupiter, FL
Wed Aug 20, 2008
We would never NOT advise someone to get an attorney to review the closing documents. Is it necessary? No. The title company's attorney prepares the closing documents but does NOT represent you or the seller unless the seller has hired that attorney to represent them AND do the closing. It's always a good idea to have more eyes reviewing the documents and the attorney you hire would be representing YOU.
Mott Marvin…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Wed Aug 20, 2008
It is very advisable and highly reccomended that you have an attorney represent you. Most of the time, things go smoothly- but the fee an attorney charges is worth more that having even one small error that goes against you.