I'm a single female first-time home buyer looking for a $110-115k townhome with an easy commute to RTP. Any suggestions on good neighborhoods for me?

Asked by nicoletteash, Durham, NC Thu Feb 21, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3106492627-3316-Ivey-Wood-Ln-…

Answers

13
Margaret Moo…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Tue Apr 2, 2013
You have a number of options for housing, but first since you're a first time homebuyer -have you talked with a lender? There are programs for first time buyers that can help with down payment assistance of up to 3% and another program called a Mortgage Credit Certificate which allows you to receive a tax credit for every year you occupy the property. They are great resources for first time buyers and eligibility requirements are easily understandable. Not every lender can offer the program, so be sure to check with yours.
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Margaret Moore Broker
Triangle & Coast Realty
http://www.trianglecoast.com
colin.barbaro, Renter, San Antonio, TX
Fri Mar 29, 2013
I also was a single female first time home buyer moving to NC looking for an easy commute to UNC hospitals and RTP.

I currently have my house listed, you can see images here:
http://www.trulia.com/property/3112427707-26-Willow-Bridge-D…

The access to I-40 is amazing being near exit #276, 274, and 273 (all within 2-3miles) and HWY 54 offers easy access into Chapel Hill and Downtown Durham, which was wonderful socially.
Katie Smith, Home Owner, Chapel Hill, NC
Sun Mar 17, 2013
Also, check out homes in Darby Glen. Its a good small community.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Sat Feb 23, 2013
I would recommend Woodcroft, Willow Bridge,, Hope Valley Farms and perhaps Wyntercrest all in the area of Southpoint Mall in SW Durham and all within a 15 minute drive at most to RTP.

You really should take the time to find yourself a good buyer broker who enjoys working with first time buyers like yourself. I'd be happy to assist you, you can find out more about me by simply checking out my profile here on Trulia.

I think you may also want to consider small single family homes. Bear in mind that every $5 a month in HOA fees, is roughly the equivalent of borrowing another $1000 on you mortgage; so a monthly fee of $150 would allow you consider homes up to $140,000+/- which would give you more options.

If you want to interview agents, my suggestion is to read the link I've attached below so that you know what you should be looking for.

I wish you the best of luck.
Tom Kemble, Agent, Durham, NC
Fri Feb 22, 2013
The Ridges at Parkwood is a single level town home community very convenient to RTP and in the price range you mentioned. There are one or two units currently on the market in this community. Call me at 919-724-7963 if you would like to set up an appointment to view these or any others in which you might have an interest. Have a great day!
Arneta Wicker, , Durham, NC
Fri Feb 22, 2013
Call me when you are ready to work with an agent. I will be happy to work with you in finding the perfect property that meet your criteria.

A Wicker Realty
919-361-3064
Deborah Mill…, Agent, Durham, NC
Thu Feb 21, 2013
NICOLETT. I would also suggest you look at some small detached homes you will have more privacy and gain more equity and much less hoa fees allowing you to purchase more for the same monthly expense. There are still some foreclosures available that you could get in within your budget. I would be glad to send you all properties that meet your budget and keep you within 18 mins to RTP. When i worked in RTP North West Durham was within that commute and homes are more affordable. If parking is not key Woodcroft may have something but parking is tight in most town home communities there.
If i can help drop me a call.
Deborah Rigsbee Miller
Coldwell Banker Advantage
919-491-2826
Frederick C…, Agent, Durham, NC
Thu Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like you have had a multitude of good answers to your question. My suggestion is to enlist the services of a experienced REALTOR and let that person guide you towards what might work best for you. The main thing is to work with someone who will represent your best interests as a "Buyer Agent" and help you through the entire process.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance in anyway.

Fritz Hine
REALTOR/Broker
26 Years of working with Buyers and Sellers in the RTP area
Candy McLain, Agent, Rougemont, NC
Thu Feb 21, 2013
I would suggest town homes in Amberlynn Valley and Woodcroft. Both are located near RTP. Woodcroft has higher HOA fees but has a lot to offer. Examples, walking trails, tennis, and a pool.
Stacie Dye, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Thu Feb 21, 2013
Hi Nicolette,

There are many options available. I would be glad to send you some suggestions, set you up on a search that meets your criteria and or meet for a Buyer Consultation. I really enjoy working with First Time Home Buyers. Take a look at my House Hunter Guide: http://www.southernsavvyconnections.com/p/house-hunters.html.

Feel free to contact me directly at your convenience.

Stacie Dye, Broker, Realtor

Go Realty
919.475.9460
Stacie@GoRealty.biz
http://www.GoStacie.com
Michael Colv…, Agent,
Thu Feb 21, 2013
Woodcroft would be my suggestion as well, let me know if you would like the assistance of a Realtor.
Michael
Bill Dandrid…, Agent, Durham, NC
Thu Feb 21, 2013
There are a plethora of neighborhoods within an easy commute's distance of RTP in that price range. If you email me, I will be happy to send you several properties that match your criteria that we could check out at a time of your convenience.
Andrea Hirth, Agent, Durham, NC
Thu Feb 21, 2013
I would recommend the town homes in Woodcroft!