Wei Sin Ang, Home Buyer in Mount Lebanon, PA

I'm a foreign student coming to Pittsburgh this August and intend to buy a house instead of renting. Do I need to find a buying agent? And how?

Asked by Wei Sin Ang, Mount Lebanon, PA Wed Jul 3, 2013

I do not have loan issue as I can pay in full for property costs $200,000 or less. Interested in condos near good elementary school (for my children) but not too far from CMU.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Joe Hirsch, Agent, Carnegie, PA
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Greetings WE Sin
Yes, you should have a buyer's agent, but be sure you hire one who truly understands agency relationships. A buyer's agent has a duty to look out for your interest first, even before his or her own. He or she should do thorough interview with you so that the agent knows as much about what you are looking for as he or she can. The agent you choose should agree to look for homes in the Multi-list system as well as homes that are not listed for sale and those that are for sale by owner. Your agent should be ready to prepare a complete analysis of any property you are interested in purchasing and help you determine what price you should offer the seller. Ask the buyer agent how they would handle selling a listing that is handled by their broker because this could cause a conflict of interest and limit the advice the agent could give you. Also, ask the agent what training he or she has had in buyer agency (not just what professional designations they have) and make certain that the agent knows the value of the homes in the area in which you are planning to move to. You should also ask the agent if he or she will accompany you on any home inspections so that they can best communicate with you so that he or she can best advise you about hoe to best respond to the inspection if a problem is revealed.
I will be honored she you choose me as the person who represents you. I have been interviewed about buyer agency by a national real estate advisor that interview has been sent as a teaching tool to agents throughout the United States and I have been a speaker and trainer in buyer agency at seminars in the US and in Canada. I was one of the first real estate agents in Pittsburgh to offer buyer agency to my clients and I m sure I could help you. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Joe Hirsch
Keller Williams Realty
1500 Oxford Drive
Bethel Park, PA 15102
Cel: 412-583-1295
Office: 412-831-3800
e-mail: joehirschrealtor@gmail.com
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes
Nancy Theys, Agent, Wexford, PA
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Hello Wei Sin,
Yes, you should plan to incorporate the services of a Realtor. Your Realtor would be a Buyer agent who would work for and with you to help you through the process of buying a condo. I would be happy to help you to narrow your search, with regard to areas and schools. Let me know if you would like me to help.
0 votes
Jerry White, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Ni hao, Xiao Ang,
As the other agents have indicated, a buyer's agent is crucial in looking out after your best interests. If you do not have a buyer agency contract with an agent, rest assured that the whoever shows you a home is representing the seller. I recently helped a CMU student from China purchase his first home in the South Oakland area. Because I studied at the Nanjing Institute of Chemical Technology, I was able to develop a unique rapport with him and establish an ongoing relationship, even after the closing. If you would like my assistance, please contact me at jerrywhite@northwood.com. I would be pleased to assist you in your home search.
Best regards,
Jerry White
0 votes
Denise Bruno, Agent, Canonsburg, PA
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Hi Mr. Ang and thank you for posting your question on Trulia. Welcome to Pittsburgh and Congrats on studying at CMU. I totally agree with a lot of the agents and brokers on here. You really need to have a buyers agent. A buyers agent is someone who will set up appointments for showings at your convenience, negotiate the best price possible and explain the offer to you, set up home inspections, pick a good closing company and a reputable lender if needed. Remember the seller has someone to look after their best interest and someone needs to look after yours. I also work with relocation clients who are moving in the Pittsburgh area. I can differently relate to your situation on attending college, either under grad or grade school. I also earned my degree in Bachelor of Science. Good Luck and Take care! Please fill free to call me, text me or email me with any questions or concerns.


Denise Bruno, BS, Realtor
Keller Williams Real Estate Professionals
Peters Township Office
190 Gallery Rd
McMurray, Pa 15317
Office: 724-941-9400x132
Cell: 412-445-0318*
Email: denisebruno132@kw.com
0 votes
Kaedi Knepsh…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Hello Wei,

Most buyers want to have a buyers agent to represent them in their real estate purchase. A buyers agent will be an advocate for you and negotiate for your best interests. They will also schedule appointments for you, assist you with preparing the paperwork and refer home inspectors, title companies etc.

If you would like to discuss further about buyers agency I would be happy to speak to you. You can reach me at 412-855-0077 or by email at kaedik@remax.net. You can also check out my team's website to get some insight in my background. http://www.ReddingerTeam.com

Kaedi Knepshield
RE/MAX Select Realty
724-933-6300 x 521
0 votes
Jan Schoeneb…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Wed Jul 3, 2013
I am a managing broker that has many good agents that could assist you. I highly recommend that you employ the help of a buyer's agent to assist you through the process, after all the sellers all have a listing agent advising and guiding them. The best news is that sellers all agree to provide the compensation for any agent that you have representing you. Please call at your convenience so that I might assign the agent that I would be the best fit to help you through this process. 412-951-3232.
0 votes
Susanne Wagn…, Agent, Upper St Clair, PA
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Hello Mr. Ang, welcome to Pittsburgh! I see from your question that you currently reside in Mt. Lebanon, a suburb of Pittsburgh. There are some excellent school districts in Mt. Lebanon and surrounding areas. Yes, I recommend you obtain a buyers agent.... your buyers agent will represent your interests in the purchase transaction, plus streamline your search in areas of interest to you, and show you homes of interest to you. Your buyers agent will be with you from the initial consultation, through closing on your new home, and beyond! I am a fulltime Realtor, live in Mt. Lebanon, our office is in Upper St. Clair, and I would be pleased to meet with you for a consultation. Best regards, Susanne Wagner 412.477.5709cell susannewagner@remax.net
0 votes
George R Her…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Wei Sin I am an experienced agent with 49 years in the Real Estate business in Pittsburgh, particularly the Mt. Lebanon area and would be happy to be of assistance to you.
0 votes
Brian Teyssi…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Thanks for posting your question on Trulia.com Wei!

Yes, you should have a buyer's agent and it should be me. I am going into a closing in an hour with a resident doctor who just moved from Connecticut to start his residency in West Penn. I have 2 others this year I have put into properties. I can give you referrals & you can check out what other buyers have thought of my performance by going to my website.
Web Reference:  http://www.brianteyssier.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more