I'm a first time home buyer. What 5 questions should I ask my realtor before I settle on one for my search?

Asked by mjay, Pensacola Beach, FL Tue Feb 19, 2013

Answers

7
Annette Lawrence’s answer
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Wed Feb 20, 2013
#1 Do you have a phone?
#2. Are you a Virgo? They make the best agents.
#3, Do you exhibit the equity you have taken from other homeowners through the brand new expensive car you drive?
#4. How many letters have you purchased to append to your name?
#5. Do you buy lunch?

The real questions you need the answer to should not be asked. They will be provided without your need to ask by the agent who really has your best interest in mind. Of course I won't provide those questions in a public forum. Anyone who suggests the agents credit score is relevant has an ulterior agenda that does not include you. Many of the response you will receive is exactly that, ulterior agendas that can be summed up as,,,"This is the question I want you to ask, since I do have an answer."

Best of success in finding your new home.
, ,
Fri Feb 28, 2014
I think that those questions would differ quite a bit from individual to individual as everyone has different priorities. I actually refer different agents to my clients based on personality as well as more quantifiable aspects such as what areas they cover and their specialties, etc. You definitely should try to communicate your expectations for how you will conduct your search. Go with whichever agent makes you feel the most comfortable in their response.

Also, if you have not gotten your self pre-approved with a lender, now is the time to do so. a realtor can provide much better service when they have an understanding of your exact needs from the lenders perspective.

I am available to help you at your convenience if you wish.

I also offer credit score improvement programs for free while we work on your mortgage.

If you like my answer above, consider clicking on a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer”

Robert L. Hanson
Gladewater National Bank
First Time Homebuyer Specialist

Direct: 240-752-7549 Cell: 301-651-7822
Email: robertlh66@verizon.net
NMLS# 695929

Rate quote or live chat with me at the link below:

http://www.loansfromrob.com/quote/
Hank Wilson, Agent, Bowling Green, KY
Fri Feb 28, 2014
Tell them to give you 5 people that would be willing to refer them. If they stumble, perhaps move on. If they are confident in others opinion on them, perhaps you are done asking.
Perhaps some questions would be:
How many homes have you helped buyers purchase this past year?
Do you consider yourself a local expert?
What is your availability?
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Fri Feb 28, 2014
You are the only one that can determine the correct questions to ask, because nobody else knows what is important to YOU. But once you know what's important to you, find a Realtor (and yes, I do mean a member of the NAR, because at least then you know s/he at least CLAIMS TO subscribe to a higher set of ethics) that you are comfortable with. Do they seem honest? Do they seem to have your best interests at heart? Or do they seem like they would be better off selling snake oil? Will you be comfortable spending time with them? That's important because finding the right home can often take considerable time, and then comes the hard part...navigating the waters between finding the home and closing on it. If you're not comfortable with your agent, you are far less likely to make it to the finish line with a home you are truly happy with and a deal that makes you feel good. Best of luck...
Kim Benedict, Agent, Overland Park, KS
Fri Feb 28, 2014
First find a property that you love, then go form there. Each property is going to have its own qualities and issues and there is no way of knowing what they are till you find it. Have a home inspection done with a licensed professional and that is when the questions will come along with answers.

key is don't over think it before hand, go with the flow enjoy the hunt, trust, and everything else will fall into place.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Feb 28, 2014
Ask about scheduling around your needs, who will choose the properties to be seen, can you expect updates on new listings and recently sold properties, and how often will communication occur, etc. Ask about current sales in your areas of interest, negotiating strategies, etc.
rk17, Home Buyer, Port Charlotte, FL
Fri Feb 28, 2014
1. What do the insurance premiums cost for a condo in a hurricane prone area such as the Pensacola area?
2. What are the monthly home owner association fees? Sometimes these are higher that the mortgage.
3. What are the taxes for the unit?
4. How old is the building? Anything older than 10 years will soon require maintenance costs.
5. Is the area a safe and secure place to live for you and your family.

Verify all information an agent gives you by researching. The internet has a lot of information, but it must be reason checked. Remember, an agent is the business of making money, not guaranteeing your happiness.