Siva, Home Buyer in 07095

I'm a South Indian (Tamil speaking ). My wife works in Summit and I work in mid town (New York).

Asked by Siva, 07095 Tue Apr 28, 2009

I'm a South Indian (Tamil speaking ). My wife works in Summit and I work in mid town (New York). My kid will be going to elementary school by next year.

I want to buy and settle down in that area and planning to live in the long run till my kid finishes high school.

Can someone suggest a good place to buy a home? My budget is between $400,000 to $550,000?

I heard Livingston is a good area. Is it better than Scotch Plains?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Answers

6
Robert Bruck…, Home Seller, West Caldwell, NJ
Sun Apr 29, 2012
There are many communities that would be fantastic. Some are in Essex, Morris and Union counties. It appears from your question that you are are looking for a nice home where there are excellent schools. You imply that you will most likely move after your kids graduate from high school. So, your question really is as follows: -- Where can I get a nice home in a community that has great schools for between $400-$550k that will appreciate within the next 10-15 years?

The answer to that question requires a survey of many different communities in New Jersey. There are many things to consider. Summit is a wonderful town, Westfield is as well, you can get more for your money going further west, that is if you don't mind a slightly longer trip to NYC. There are many things to consider. As a real estate broker with 25 years experience selling homes throughout the area, it would be my pleasure to help you. There are many wonderful communities to choose from. Let me show you them all. Then, you can decide. I can be reached at (973) 901-1900 or RBruckner31@gmail.com. Call me, you'll be happy that you did.

Robert Bruckner
Coldwell Banker
25 Years Experience
(973) 901-1900/cell.
Gurubaskaran, Home Buyer, Nutley, NJ
Wed Jun 29, 2011
Siva,

Would like to know finally you settled in livingston? If you don't mind. I am also looking for a house in that area.
Louise Ozoli…, , Short Hills, NJ
Thu Oct 8, 2009
An ideal place for you would be somewhere like Morristown which is close to Summit and has a metro connection. Livingston and Scotch Plains are both great towns, but you probably want to live in an area that is convenient for the Summit commute as well as NYC. I am just seeing this on 10-6, but if you still haven't bought, shoot me an email and we can talk.
George Walsh, Agent, Summit, NJ
Tue Aug 11, 2009
Siva, I live in Livingston so I can speak from first hand experience. There are many positives about Livingston. Some are the residential nature of the town balanced by appropriate commercial and light industrial properties (many office complexes). There are wonderful parks, 2 town pools, and perhaps the number 1 factor for many of the residents is the highly-regarded school system.

I am also familiar with Scotch Plains. In fact I will be having dinner there tomorrow evening with my son, his girlfriend, my daughter and her fiance and my wife. Scotch Plains is also a nice residential town with good schools. It also has a mix of some commercial properties to contribute to the tax revenues.

You will readily see on a map that Livingston is closer to Summit than Scotch Plains and also closer to NYC. Scotch Plains has acess to train service to NY while Livingston has bus service to midtown. There are numerous other differences.

It's really for you to decide which is "better" for your needs. Both offer homes in your price range, style, condition, home size, yard size, taxes, ameneties, etc. can vary considerably.

It would be smart on your part to select a competent Realtor(c) who can show you what you can expect in each community in your price range. Then, when you have the facts, you can decide which is better for your family. In the meantime you can search the MLS free of charge on my website. http://www.GWalsh.com
Web Reference:  http://www.GWalsh.com
Neera Sharma, , 08836
Wed Apr 29, 2009
Siva,

Although all the towns have something great to offer but I would suggest considering Bridgewater, if you have not already looked into it. It is a central place for you to commute to NY and for your wife to go to Summit. She can hop onto to 78 and get to her work. Bridgewater school system is also very reputable and for your religious life there is a beautiful Bridgewater temple that also holds religion/language classes. I myself have been living in Bridgewater for over 20 years and my kids grew up here in Bridgewater.

Please feel free to call me or e mail me if you need any more information or assistance in finding a home.
Neera Sharma
Prudential New Jersey Properties
908-400-6484 cell
NSharma.home@gmail.com
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Tue Apr 28, 2009
Hi Siva
Livingston is a wonderful choice. It has a diverse cultural mix, excellent school system, and is an easy commute to the city.

Siva, no one can say one town is "better" than another, as "better" is in the eye of the beholder.
There are other options for you in the Livingston area besides Livingston, and it would be my pleasure to help you sort through the choices.

Feel free to reach out to me, and I will be happy to discuss what your price range will offer you in the various surrounding towns.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Debbie