Hector Diffut, Home Buyer in Bronx, NY

I live in a rent stabilized apt and my landlord/slumlord will not let me do a month to month or even a 6 month lease. My lease is up in 1 month.

Asked by Hector Diffut, Bronx, NY Fri Sep 27, 2013

I was hoping to buy my first place in about 6 month's time. I really don't want to be in my current apt for another year. Moving in 30 days is really not feasible. What should I do?

Rent stabilization laws are pretty strict. In NY, it doesn't allow for a month to month situation or anything less than 1 year. You have the privilege of a rent stabilized apt, and with that comes some ground rules. Even if your landlord was a real nice guy and wanted to do it in principal, he can't under the statutes. Let the landlord know of your intent up front and try to negotiate a lease break penalty fee if you renew for a year, many landlords will allow that. Typically it is one month worth of rent that you'll have to eat. But in the scheme of things, when buying your own place and presumably dropping 100k +/-, that shouldn’t be a hard blow. You might also be proactive and prepared by speaking with a real estate agent you are comfortable with who YOU will allow to show your apt to prospective future tenants (while you are still in there) who can sign a lease at a 6 month mark, and preferably will take it as is, without repainting (which will save the landlord downtime of an empty apt and the cost of repainting it, because otherwise, the landlord won’t be able to show it until you vacate). So maybe your LL will agree to waive the penalty fee in that scenario. Rent stabilized apts are hard to come by, so if it’s a good place, you should have no problem getting a taker. BUT… it’s still up to your landlord, so get it all in writing before you start giving tours. Helpful hint: Speak nicely to the landlord or his rep. Cussing him out and besmirching him on a public forum because you didn’t get him to violate the city’s rent-stabilized statutes to your liking might not yield positive results. My suggestions above are just that: suggestions. They should *not* be taken as legal advice.
My landlord is terrible. When I first moved here, my building had a different owner with whom I had a professional relationship. It made for a very pleasant landlord/tenant experience. He has since sold my building to a neglagent irresponsible new owner who bought a decent sized number of buildings and each of them has diminished in quality over the subsequent 5 years. He does not use a management firm to maintain his properties. He is nearly impossible to get a hold of. I have filed numerous complaints against him for various descreases in services over the years. I always pay my rent on time and more times than not, end up backing off when it comes to getting repairs done due to the frustrating amount of effort required to communicate with my landlord. In any event, I know many landlords who own buildings with rent stabalized apartments and they arbitrarily extend the courtesy of a month to month or short term lease to their tenants. Pardon the rant, just wish i had more options.
Flag Fri Sep 27, 2013
Hi Hector,

I remember your previous question regarding this situation. I'm sorry things didn't work out there. I do have a 2-bedroom with a 6 month lease, month-to-month after that, if necessary. Let me know if you want to discuss the matter further. Best of luck!

David Rodriguez