I live in a condo development where every house is exactly the same. Is it a conflict of interest for a?

Asked by Chethan Prabhu, San Francisco, CA Mon Mar 17, 2008

listing agent to list my unit and another unit at the same time?

Answers

5
Myles A. Kel…, Agent, Radnor, PA
Wed Oct 15, 2014
Hi TF_Buyer, As Ed said, it's not a conflict of interest if that's the end of the story. But you should keep in mind that the agent will want to sell the first listing first and might (even without realizing it) play favorites. You see, when a listing is on the market for more than 80 days many agents begin to be reluctant to show the listing. (If it's been on the market for a long time, maybe there's a reason--or so the thinking goes.) This isn't a set science and certainly doesn't hold true for unique homes and luxury estates. Should those buyer agents hold back in showing homes that have been on the market a little longer? No. They shouldn't. But it happens.

Seller's agents also know that buyers will compare both units. They'll set the price of their listing competitively against the other unit. How will they do that if they're both in the same development? Are the features and upgrades plus/minus condition and square footage of one vs the other enough to fairly price each?

If you're looking for help buying or selling in KOP, please give me a call. I'm happy to help.

--
MYLES KELLAM
Keller Williams Realty Group
REALTORĀ®
PA License: RS325507
The Mike Coleman Team

C: (484) 381-0437
O: 610-792-5900
E: myles.kellam@gmail.com
KellamRealEstate.com
Ed Valentine, Agent, Blue Bell, PA
Thu Apr 10, 2008
It's not a conflict of interest for an agent to list 2 units in the same development, the listing contract does address these situations. But if you're not comfortable with using the same listing agent as your neighbor, this is perfectly understandable and there are many agents who specialize in your area.
Cheryl R. Su…, , Schwenksville, PA
Wed Mar 19, 2008
Not a conflict of interest. In your contract it should state you are aware the agent has other clients and will show other properties.
John Burns, Agent, Souderton, PA
Wed Mar 19, 2008
Read your listing contract. I believe it addresses this situation....Porbably your real Question is....Which one will they work harder to sell ? What is probably going to happen is most buyers will view both listings and make their choice based on which they like best....go see the other unit and evaluate you competitor..see if you can make yours more appealing...also offer a bonus to any realtor that sells yours
Tyler Wagner, Agent, Havertown, PA
Mon Mar 17, 2008
It shouldn't be. While the floor plans and styles are the same, I'm sure you and the other owner have done different things to the interior of the homes. Actually, I would imagine your agent would be showing both whenever he or she has a client looking. Whether its the same agent or a different one, its the buyers who are going to decide which they like best.