I live in Northern NJ and would like to relocate to NC. I want to be near the beach, shopping, and medical facilities.

Asked by Bernadette--new Email, Lakewood, NJ Wed Sep 19, 2012

I am also disabled and use a walker. I'm interested in purchasing a one level condo/townhome. When I search for condo/townhome with handicap access, very few are available. How would I go about searching for or determine accessiblity while I am doing internet searches? (Note: I am in my early 50's and DO NOT want to live in a retirement community.)
Thanks, Beach Lovin' Gal

Answers

10
Vickie Hall, Agent, Union, MI
Tue Jan 12, 2016
Hello Bernadette,

Have you checked out http://www.barrierfreehome.com/ ?

Hope this helps,

Vickie Hall

Willow Tree Realty
Catmcneal, Home Buyer, Wilmington, NC
Mon Aug 17, 2015
I have a custom built home with an indoor heated exercise or therapy pool. It is in Hertford NC and in a gated community that has many amenities. My husband and I built the house for our retirement but he passed away before it was finished, I want to move to get a fresh start. It is reduced and well worth the price at $299,999 . It has 3bedrooms/2 and a half baths with a large master suite with a wheel in shower with 3 rainhead shower features. The nasterbath floor is heated. It is dual fuel and wired for a generator. It sits on a third acre and has a riding lawn mower that could be included along with a golf cart. I have purchased a home in Florida and want to move
I live in Nebraska and need to relocate. Is your home still available?
Jim Slade
Flag Tue May 9, 2017
Justin Donat…, Agent, Carolina Beach, NC
Wed Dec 26, 2012
Hi Beach Lover!

Wilmington and the areas beaches will just absorb you - I moved here about 12 years ago and never left.

There are some homes on single levels that you may be interested in. Once nice community is Cypress Island. There are also homes near Wrightsville Beach in a community names Seaspray Landing.

If you are interested in condos, there will have elevator access (most of them).

Is there a part of Wilmington you especially are interested in?

here is a link to see the latest properties for sale:
http://www.coastwalkrealestate.com/new-listings/

Thanks!
Kraig Marquis, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Thu Sep 20, 2012
Hi Beach Lovin' Gal,
I also relocated to the area from the northeast and have found Wilmington to be a great place to live. Lots of southern charm, but with the openess and friendliness to accept us northerners - there are a lot of us here! There are also a number of condo/townhome complexes with one-level living that should meet your accessibilty needs and I'll be glad to email you these options for consideration. Please let me know if I can answer any questions you have about the area and the great year-round lifestyle we have here.
Kind regards,
Kraig Marquis
kmarquis@intracoastalrealty.com
910-231-7272
http://www.KraigSellsTheCoast.com
Dave Starling, , Wilmington, NC
Thu Sep 20, 2012
Hey Beach Lovin' Gal, I will tell you that there is no better place to live than Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach area. We have one of the most beautiful beaches on the east coast, check it out. Just paste this link into your browser and enjoy. http://nedleary.photoshelter.com/gallery/-/G0000qKHT.XHHQ0k/

As for searching for a home here we have many well qualified professional realtors here that would love the opportunity to help you in your search. One thing you might want to do is speak with a LOCAL lender to see what your financing options are, that is if you need financing.

Well, good luck in your search and we'll see ya at the beach.

Dave Starling
On Q Financial
Sr. Mortgage Consultant
NMLS #: 119565 NC License # I-143595
910-620-3210 cell
Jeff Lesley, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Thu Sep 20, 2012
That is no problem at all, you have lots of options. I recently sold a condo in "The Gardens" which is located just below 17th street. They have 36" doors for all ground level units and it is a great mixture (not a retirement community). You will find it a bit difficult to search for yourself as their are no search fields that make it, your best bet is to have a buyer's agent that knows the area and the communities that will work for you. I would love to work with you and help you find what you need, the best part...it is no additional expense to you! I can also help you find the best agent if you need to sell in NJ. Let me know if I can help. Thanks - Jeff

Jeff Lesley
Century 21 Sweyer & Associates
910-297-7071 (call or text)
JLesley@Century21Sweyer.com
Pam Meadows, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Wed Sep 19, 2012
Hi, Bernadette! I lived up in the Philly area and I have to tell you, the winters here in Wilmington are fantastic! Most places you'll find are within about 20 minutes of a beach and even closer to shopping! An agent can weed out condos and townhomes that are not accessible so all you look at are homes that will work for you. Would love to help with your transition!
Caroline Dug…, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Wed Sep 19, 2012
Hi Bernadette, This is a great time of year to visit Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach to familiarize yourself with all we have to offer. Let me know if you would like a tour! ;) We have several places that are single-level and handicapped accessible and depending on your other requirements might interest you. I have sold several houses like that this year. You might try Ashley Park or Merestone or Breezewood. It all depends on your price range and taste! There is a great unit over in Willoughby Park right now too that might work. Let me know if I can help.
Janine Naylor, , Wilmington, NC
Wed Sep 19, 2012
Bernadette...email me some additional requirements of what you're looking for and I'll search the mls for you.
Janine Naylor. Century 21 Sweyer. Wilmington, nc. Jnaylor@century21sweyer.com
Ed & Sheila…, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Wed Sep 19, 2012
We are blessed with many types of communities here. We will need to do an MLS search and look for the specific property for you. Drop me a note and I will begin your search and send you some listings. When will you be headed this way?
Ed & Sheila Rudolph 910-620-7206