I live in NYC and am considering purchasing a home in orange county, NY. How is Middletown versus Newburgh. Are either areas safe to live in?

Asked by Jace Steele, Parlin, NJ Sun Apr 1, 2012

Answers

6
Carol M. Buchanan’s answer
Carol M. Buc…, Agent, Warwick, NY
Mon Apr 2, 2012
Middletown and Newburgh both have lovely areas to live in. You need to preview homes and lcoations in both areas to see what is most comfortable for you. You'll want to take things into account such as commuter transportation to where you work i.e. trains or buses to NYC. Child care and recreational activities that interest you is also something you would want to look into for each area. If I can provide you with any additional information it would be my pleasure to do so. Happy House Hunting!
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Apr 1, 2012
If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods. When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand...
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com/
Miriam Munzer, Agent, GOSHEN, NY
Tue May 22, 2012
Difficult question to answer. Every area has a certain amount of petty theft, larceny, etc..

You can find stats on City of Middletown vs City of Newburgh on any search engine. However, just because a mailing address says "Newburgh" or "Middletown" does not necessarily put that dwelling in the middle of the city. The home could be located on the outskirts of the city., or in a rural location. Check the address, then "google" the home and do your research before you dismiss a home you have seen on-line.
You might be pleasantly surprised.
Gail Jeter, Agent, New Windsor, NY
Wed Apr 4, 2012
I agree with the other realtors who responded to your question by stating that there are lovely communities in both towns but I would like you to understand that realtors cannot legally recommend one area over another. As a former New York City resident, I understand your concern. I recommend that you google to find the local police station to get that information.
Gail Jeter, Agent, New Windsor, NY
Wed Apr 4, 2012
Jace Steele, Home Buyer, Parlin, NJ
Mon Apr 2, 2012
Thanks to everyone for your help. Very informative