I live in Maine. I want to move south to wv, va, tn, or nc. How do I find acreage listing easily online?

Asked by Dan Chase, Texas City, TX Sat Feb 14, 2009

Maine is to cold! I am trying to be reasonably close to a va hospital or clinic. I also want longer road frontage and to have a minimum of 20 acres of land with more being better. I want space around me for privacy reasons. I am also looking for land on a road that is not very bumpy, preferably tarred. I would consider buying land and building as well as buying a house on the lot. I have seen many sites that ask for bedrooms and price. But so far have had bad luck finding bedrooms, price, acreage, and distance from a city to search.

Plus when I find some land that looks good how do I find out if the area is termite, red ant, poisonous snakes etc. infested, or has tornadoes, hurricanes, floods or other problems? How do I find out if people there accept people from different states without prejudice?

Once I find a place for sale is there an advantage to using the listing realtor or a realtor from another agency? How do I know that a place is not greatly overpriced for the area?

Answers

10
Gina Letourn…, Agent, Auburn, ME
Fri Nov 1, 2013
Give us a call at 207-795-9633 and we can connect you with a broker in the area you are looking to move to. Thank you!
Jonathan Rob…, Agent, Lewiston, ME
Mon Oct 21, 2013
Please call me tonight or anytime Sunday or Monday.

Jonathan
207 632 2110

Prudential Prime Properties
118 Maine Mall Rd South Portland, Maine
Lisa Caron, Agent, Bangor, ME
Fri Oct 4, 2013
With my company we can interview and find the perfect REALTOR just for you! In or out of the country. Why not google some of the states that fit your specific needs first then give me a call. I'll put you in touch with a great person in the area. As in all places pests, rodents, snakes etc. are all concerns to home owners so there is always a person or company that deals with those concerns directly. Looking forward to hearing from you and getting you settled in to the private way of living you have been dreaming of. Lisa
Terry Drisco…, , Bath, ME
Mon Feb 8, 2010
It sounds like you have never been to the part of the country that you think you want to live in? If I were you I would plan a road trip vacation! However, from your questions/concerns, it sounds like you are early in the process of locating your next home location so it is easier and less expensive to search online. Try http://www.LandWatch.com - they use search criteria specifically for land. But, looking at photos and descriptions of land parcels won't answer your other questions - you do need local resources for that - sign a contract to hire a good buyer agent! Still not sold on that buyer agent thing? You can go to http://www.ask.com and type things like "Are there fire ants in Virginia?" (That would be a yes) But, generally speaking, contracting with a buyer's agent costs you nothing - - they are paid by the Seller at closing, but they represent you in the transaction. Of course, like every other REALTOR who has responded, I would be happy to refer you to a good agent, but I can't do that until you narrow your search to a specific area. Best of luck in your search.
PS: Dulles Int'l Airport has had 64" of snow this winter while the Portland Jet Port has had only 32" - I'm just sayin' . . .
Web Reference:  http://www.landwatch.com/
Tim Schuck, Agent, Bangor, ME
Tue Aug 11, 2009
If you're on Facebook or Myspace, search for a REALTOR in the areas you're interested in.
They will be able to help you find your land.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Feb 15, 2009
There is plenty of acreage available in these states.....

At this point your search is extremely broad and needs to be narrowed. Our recommendation is to try to identify several specific locations that really attract you and contact real estate professionals from them. They will be able to direct you to property that meets your needs.

Diana Downs, Agent, Bangor, ME
Sun Feb 15, 2009
Hi Dan,
The amount of research needed to answer your questions is going to be an awful lot of work for you to do on your own. You need the help of a good buyer's agent in each of the areas you are interested in. They can answer your questions about the local community and send you listings that meet your criteria.
Give me a call either at my Bangor office - 947-6788 or my cell - 735-6988. I'd be happy to make some referrals for you.
CJ Dubois-Co…, Agent, Saco, ME
Sun Feb 15, 2009
Hi Dan,

I, too have lived in Maine all my life and look forward to retiring to a warmer climate.

Would you like me to make a Buyer Agent referral for you in each of the states you are considering a move to? Feel free to contact me:

CJ Dubois-Cote, ABR (Accredited Buyer Agent)
Prudential Prime Properties
445 Main Street
Saco, ME 04072
207-615-1663
cindy@prubay.com
Margaret Mit…, Agent, York, ME
Sat Feb 14, 2009
Dan - After this winter, I have to agree: Maine is very cold!!!
The listing agent represents the Seller, not you as the buyer. Since you are looking from out of state, with a lot of questions, you really need a Buyer Agent to represent you. Try to narrow down your area and then select a Buyer Agent. Trulia is a great place to make contact with agents. You can read their advice on line and see who might be a good fit for you.
You know, we are about 10 degrees warmer down here in Southern Maine than Northern Maine. Or so my in laws in Northern Maine tell me!
Good luck in your search. Maine will miss you.
Lorie Gould, Agent, Duluth, GA
Sat Feb 14, 2009
Georgia is a great southern state:)
Web Reference:  http://www.HomesByLorie.com