I live in Iowa..am trying to get ideas about a safe/'good' location to buy a condo in the Salinas area. Would?

Asked by Bonnie Kauth, 52726 Sun Apr 27, 2008

love to buy in Monterey...can't afford. I'm looking for a 3/2 also. Am only familar with the Reservation Road area as we don't actually go into the city much . Any ideas...good deals

Answers

11
Kim, Home Buyer, Central Coast
Thu Jun 19, 2008
Prunedale is only 10 minutes from Salinas. It is a safe, nice little country-feeling town. A world apart from Salinas.
Vincent J Ca…, Agent, Salinas, CA
Tue Jun 10, 2008
In reading some of the responses you would think you can't walk down a Street in Salinas without being a victim. This is so not true. There are some great neighborhoods in Salinas for Single Family Homes as well as Condo Complexes the have a Lake for Fishing, Pools, Tennis Courts, Shuffle Board etc. My advice is to speak with an Agent Out here. Please Check my website and do your own research,

Vincent J. Catania, Realtor
ERA Steinbeck Real Estate
http://www.VincentCatania.com
Web Reference:  http://VincentCatania.com
Christina Mo…, , 95003
Sat May 17, 2008
Hi Bonnie,

What is it specifically you would like to find in a home? Don't automatically rule out Monterey as there are some great finds and buys. As for Salinas there are many pockets that are good, it all depends on what you are looking for and what you don't want. I'm local and can certainly find you good deals, what's your time frame to relocate? Feel free to contact me via my email: cmorales@baileyproperties.com or by phone 831-406-0657
Web Reference:  http://www.bay2bayhomes.com
Earl Liebich, Agent, Gilroy, CA
Tue May 6, 2008
Bonnie...best condos in Salinas are in the area south of downtown. There are some short sales, as well as bank-owned properties on the market. And there are a couple higher end condos by owners. Your price range will determine where to look for the best "deal." Depending on your price range a 3/2 house may be a better buy, depending on how long you think you will live in the property. Let me know if I can help further. Earl
Jaime Sanchez, Agent, Salinas, CA
Sat Sep 13, 2008
There are some excellent gated communities in South Salinas like Cambridge Village, San Joaquin Villa Westwood Village and North Salinas has willow wood village. There are some units with 3 bedroom 2 bath, 2 car garage, 26 years old for around 200-220000. The value and quality for your dollar is excellent and this areas are very safe. It doesn't even look like living in Salinas.
Angel, Home Buyer, Salinas, CA
Mon Jul 7, 2008
Salinas is a great place to live IF you are in the right area. South Salinas is a great area, prices on the houses are still high though. North Salinas has some iffy patches, but talk to someone local and they'll be able to point in you the right direction. My husband and I live in Salinas right now. I grew up in Monterey and moved to salinas a year ago. never though I'd do it... but we LOVE it. The weather is up and down, but we moved from the San Jose area (too Hot) so Salinas is a nice change. This past weekend was gorgeous, then it's cold today. Salinas is a diamond in a rough of sorts.... you just need to know where to look.
Jeff, , Salinas, CA
Tue Jun 10, 2008
this is a map of shootings and murders in Salinas since Jan. 1, 2008.
http://www.ksbw.com/news/16459324/detail.html
Bonnie Kauth, Home Buyer, 52726
Fri May 30, 2008
Thanks, this confirms my choice to cross off Salinas as a possibility. Thanks for taking the time to help.

BLS
David A Rain…, Home Buyer, Sonoma, CA
Fri May 30, 2008
Salinas is a cesspool. You will regret every minute if you move their. Gangs are out of control, the housing market in 2005 was rated one of the most expensive in the nation. It's just an UGLY city, with no charm or character. And lousy weather, with dull, drab fogged over skies, it's very depressing. I grew up their, I should know. Reservation Road area is nice. In the country, and not really Salinas. You will probably like Monterey or Pacific Grove. Much nicer towns full of charm. Carmel Valley is nice also. Heck, even the old sugar town of Spreckels is kind of neat. But Salinas! Stay Away! You will make the biggest mistake of your life.
John, , Salinas, CA
Fri May 23, 2008
My question to you is why buy a condo, where you will have to pay monthly maintenance fees to a for profit company. Do not be sucked into this ever escalating fee structure, where someone else will be taking the profit from you, and most likely will do a marginal job at maintaining the property at best.
Second thought, is the gangs and their escalating violence in Salinas. They are spreading out all over Salinas, and there is now no "safe" area. Salinas has not kept up the pressure on these leaches, and they now run the city, no matter what the Real Estate people say...remember they make a living selling the property, not living in the property.
Earl Liebich, Agent, Gilroy, CA
Sat May 17, 2008
Bonnie...I have a condo listing coming up in Salinas...walking distance to downtown restaurants and the theater, as well as Steinbeck Museum. It is a small gated development...back of units face high school football field...depending on your like of high school sports this can be good or bad. Floor plan is such that front of unit has living room, kitchen and dining area...one bedroom is off the hall leading to the master suite area which has a large balcony with workshop/storage area. Earl