Carmen Chapl…, Home Seller in Los Angeles, CA

I like this area! Should I purchase through the Realtor at the Open House? He says he will give me a "discount" if I do not use a buyer agent!

Asked by Carmen Chaplane, Los Angeles, CA Tue Aug 13, 2013

Answers

13
Hi Carmen,

Thanks for contacting us here on Trulia.

It is generally more wise to use your own buyer's agent to represent you through the home buying process. It sounds like the realtor at the open house just wants to get double commission.

The listing agent for the property is first working the seller, so he/she may not always have your best interest in mind.

It is important to use a good buyer's agent for many reasons. Your agent will guide you through the negotiation and often renegotiation process, make sure that you have the proper contingencies in place to protect your deposit, help you through the home inspection, and answer any other questions you might have throughout the escrow process.

Feel free to contact me directly at (310) 717-1321 or JamieTian@RodeoRE.com with any other questions/concerns. I would be happy to represent you and guide you through the home buying process.

Jamie Tian
Rodeo Realty
(310) 717-1321
JamieTian@RodeoRE.com
DRE #01920120
Web Reference: http://www.jamietian.com
Carmen, the agent at the open house is suggesting a "dual agency" sale, which means he represents both you and the seller. Ask him - "how will you negotiate the price down for me?" Watch the discount disappear....
Hi Carmen,

Yes to everything everyone else has said. Please get your own agent a.s.a.p. and approach this deal with caution.

Annie
http://www.annieritz.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 14, 2013
Very simple. Who is going to represent your issues and negotiate on your behalf? Who is going to work for YOU if something is discovered during inspection time frame. The listing agent has a fiduciary duty with the seller. You need an agent (your own) in your corner.

Best of luck!

Ron Schwolsky, LEED AP, BPI
Wish / Sotheby's Int'l Realty
818.640.3400 cell
dre # 01254537 cslb # 920463
http://www.GreenEstateAgent.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 13, 2013
All the answers below are spot on. Ask yourself this, would you want this realtor selling your house? He said he'd give discounts. Is this the type of agent that is looking out of your best interests as a seller?
If not, how can you trust them to represent you as a buyer's agent?!

1. Contact a Realtor that specializes in Westchester.
2. Done! The Realtor will take care that your rights are protected and get you the best deal possible.

I live on the Westside, and I specialize in the area. Check my Westchester site at http://douglaslagos.com/westchester-ca/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 13, 2013
Ah, yes, the old "if you don't get your OWN agent I'll give you a discount" pitch. Just ask yourself one question: who is that agent REALLY working for?

Answer: not you.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 13, 2013
Hi Carmen,

While legal in CA, and as a general rule, Buyers should avoid Dual Agency!

There are specific duties an Agent must provide. When one individual represents both Buyer and Seller conflict between two of the most important duties occur.

“Dual Agency: Why should I NOT use the listing Agent to buy a house?”
http://tinyurl.com/ajkjpuo

-Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 13, 2013
You'll do better to bring your own agent to the deal. I'm sure that your own agent can negotiate a better deal than you'll get from the "discount" offered by the listing agent.

With your own agent, you'll have aggressive representation for all of your transaction... that includes the negotiation... the inspection... and all the way through escrow and closing. Any money you "might" save from the "discount" will be far outweighed by a good buyer's agent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 13, 2013
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Absolutely not! This is a huge red flag! This agent is behaving unethically. He or she is not qualified to give you a discount/ The ultimate decision of who to sell to and for how much is always with the seller.

Get yourself a buyer's agent that you feel comfortable with. You want someone who is going to have YOUR best interests in mind - not those of the seller.

Take care.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 13, 2013
Carmen,

The listing agent represents the seller and not you visiting the open house. If he is telling you this he maybe telling other prospective buyers coming to the open house the same thing. I would suggest getting a buyer's agent to represent you for this or any house.

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty
310.853.9933
I don't like the sound of this.
What kind of discount can he give you if he represents the owners who he has promised to represent? Will you get a lower price? How in the world can he do that without getting in big trouble with the owners? I would walk away from this one and hire a good "Buyers Agent" to help you and represent your interests.
This is a tough one, Carmen.

On the one hand, everybody is correct. He won't be YOUR agent, he'll represent The Deal. Which isn't the worst thing in the world, but still.

On another hand, if you go out and get an agent for this transaction, they also kinda have no other incentive besides putting this deal together. Yeah, maybe you'll stick with them if this deal falls apart, but maybe not - so their incentive is to see you agree with the seller so that they can get paid.

The best use of a buyer's agent is early on, so that you can look at homes together and benefit from their knowledge and wisdom.

Carmen, the agent at the open house will be representing the seller and the buyer. The listing agent job is to get the best possible deal for the seller. How will he negotiate the best possible deal for the buyer.

I will be happy to assist you