I like many aspects of the Temescal neighborhood, but maybe the prices have risen too much already?

Asked by Keith, Berkeley, CA Mon May 14, 2007

Temescal has been an up & coming area for several years (new real estate developments, cafes, restaurants, etc.) - is it still a good buy or are the home prices already too heady for much appreciation going forward?

Answers

6
Cheryl Berger, Agent, Berkeley, CA
Fri Jul 13, 2012
Temescal has been growing in popularity over the years. With all the great restaurants and shops that have moved into the area we have seen the prices of homes increase dramatically. Some of the areas that are on the border such as lower Temescal and North Oakland you can still buy a reasonable priced home. We continue to see these areas grow in popularity and in turn the appreciation on these homes have been increasing over the years. With interest rates so low home buyers are saying now is the time to buy.
Jack, , California
Sun May 9, 2010
I like Temescal's commercial strip and the improvements over the years have been amazing. That said, I think that for the neighborhood and type of housing stock, the homes are fully priced to a bit over priced on a cost/sq ft basis. Essentially you have to pay up for where Temescal should be in a few years. There are a large number of foreclosed properties in the neighborhood so it might make sense to consider those as a potential option.
Nicole Bailey, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Jun 10, 2008
Hi Keith,

You are right that the prices have jumped in Temescal, but the current market has tempered the prices. It is a good time to look in earnest at the area.

:)

Nicole
Web Reference:  http://baileyhomegroup.com
fidarealty, Agent, Santa Clara, CA
Fri Jul 6, 2007
Glad you are looking at the Temescal area. It is close to Berkeley, Emeryville, and easy transport to San Francisco. There are still lots of great houses for sale around mid-$400k to low-$500k for a 2 bedrooms 1 bath. I love these houses as they are mostly detached, has front and rear yard, and close to transportation! Not to mention the great warm weather as compared to San Francisco. Drop me a line at gary.tsang@cbnorcal.com with your email address or instant messenger info and I could help send you some information.
Rainbow, , 94609
Mon Jun 18, 2007
I live in the heart of Temescal near 51st and Telegraph and I can say that the area is only getting better. The neighborhood is very diverse with many families that have been there for many years (we have 3 neighbors that have been there over 30 years!). Also, there's a variety of folks from artists to worker bee types and the commercial area along Telegraph in that area is slowly getting populated by useful shops.
This area is a gem if you're looking for a variety of down to earth types with a strong neighborhood. Check out the link below, it does a good job explaining the forces of the neighborhood and the upcoming development.
Ce, Both Buyer And Seller, Oakland, CA
Fri Jun 1, 2007
still going up in sf bay area.