You must have suitable credit, sufficient income, and a valid Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to be eligible for a VA-guaranteed home loan. The home must be for your own personal occupancy. The eligibility requirements to obtain a COE are listed below for Servicemembers and Veterans, spouses, and other eligible beneficiaries.
> VA home loans can be used to:
* Buy a home, a condominium unit in a VA-approved project
* Build a home
* Simultaneously purchase and improve a home
* Improve a home by installing energy-related features or making energy efficient improvements
* Buy a manufactured home and/or lot.
> The spouse of a Veteran can also apply for home loan eligibility under one of the following conditions:
* Unremarried spouse of a Veteran who died while in service or from a service connected disability, or
* Spouse of a Servicemember missing in action or a prisoner of war
* Surviving spouse who remarries on or after attaining age 57, and on or after December 16, 2003
(Note: a surviving spouse who remarried before December 16, 2003, and on or after attaining age 57, must have applied no later than December 15, 2004, to establish home loan eligibility. VA must deny applications from surviving spouses who remarried before December 6, 2003 that are received after December 15, 2004.)
* Surviving Spouses of certain totally disabled veterans whose disability may not have been the cause of death