I just purchased a condo. When I arrived at the condo on the day of settlement there was water on the floor?

Asked by MM, 20187 Fri Mar 28, 2008

in laundry room. I am the upper unit. Owner downstairs has water damage. HOA states I'm responsible if I'm negligent. Thought it was from Ice maker seller had to install before settlement. Got plumber back out there turned out it was pressure regulator. Too rusted to be tightened. Within days of discovering leak I turned off main water valve. Went to settlement on Feb 28th, turned off water and had part replaced on March 10th (water was off during this time). I can't remember exactly when I shut the water off but don't feel I was negligent. Do I have any recourse with seller. My agent did walkthrough day before settlement and says she looked under the tiles and floor was dry. Leak was not obvious. Water was under tile in far corner (entire flooring was already damaged from previous water problems so noted by my home inspector) Did not have interior insurance at the time. Any advice on what my options are at this point?

Answers

3
Jon, Home Buyer, Warrenton, VA
Tue Dec 25, 2012
Lemon law. You have 90 days after closing to have seller fix any undisclosed items or agree upon restitution.
MM, Home Buyer, 20187
Fri Mar 28, 2008
Hi - thanks for responding but unfortunately I did not yet have my interior home insurance. It was not required at my settlement since HOA carries the Hazard insurance.

Thank you for trying.
Hi, , Virginia
Fri Mar 28, 2008
you have home owners insurance
use it if the damage is above the deductible

anyways

good luck