Jill, Home Buyer in Saint Bonifacius, MN

I just closed on a home. I asked for the window treatments to be included and when I got there after the signing, the were not there. Can I get them?

Asked by Jill, Saint Bonifacius, MN Sun Jul 21, 2013

Answers

7
Yes, contact the agent that sold you the house he or she can contact the seller. OR get money to buy new ones.
Well, that's a tricky question. If you will look at your purchase agreement, look at page one and lines 19. It states that the purchase agreement and sale of the home includes "window shades, blinds, traverse and curtain and drapery rods". You do not even need to specifically request them in the PA.

That said, it is the responsibility of the sellers to leave them. That is what they agreed to do. On the other hand, it is the buyer's responsibility to do a final walk through of the property either the day of the closing or possibly the day before and then make sure that everything in the house is there that is supposed to be. If not, you deal with the seller at that point, and if it is serious enough, you have the right to refuse to sign and close until they take care of it. Usually, it is an oversight and they accidentally forgot to leave something.

I would have your agent call the seller's agent immediately and ask for it. The problem with Minnesota law is that once you sign, you have fully accepted the condition of the property. So if they left a pile of garbage at the house....you're stuck with it. If they forgot to take the lawn tractor that was in the shed....it now belongs to you.

Most buyers and seller, I have found, are very understanding and will usually just take care of the issues. Just do it quickly if possible before they don't care any longer.

I hope that helps,

Mark
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 21, 2013
yes, call your agent he or she can contact the seller and get them back or give you money so you can buy some.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 21, 2013
Thanks. It was a reloc company and there was pee on the floor, they rubbed spots when carrying Furn down the stars and broke the shower curtain rod. I can live with that but the curtains..no.
Flag Sun Jul 21, 2013
This is something you look for during the final walk through. Glad it didn't turn out to bad for you! Congrats on the purchase!
Did you do a final walk through? Call the agent and threaten to sue the sellers. You will probably have them back in a few days.
I think you should have had the window treatments in your contract. Nothing is really promised unless it is written in the contract. You should have put the window treatments in the contract if you wanted to get those done. http://designstudio905.com
Flag Fri Dec 12, 2014
Hi, Jill!
See my answer on your other entry about this. Ordinarily, you would have had an opportunity to walk through to see what the house was like BEFORE you closed. Did you do that??

Also, wondering what does your agent say??? Your agent should be giving you this information. This is an easy one.
Here's my other answer:
http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Buying/I_bo_I_closed_on_a_…

Good luck!!
were they there at the walk thru?