I have two questions about zip code 93908 in the Salinas, CA area.

Asked by Lou Alexander, San Jose, CA Thu Mar 12, 2009

I am thinking about buying a house in the Salinas, CA area. I have been looking at homes in the hills above highway 68 between Salinas and Monterey, zip code 93908. Other than the normal real estate worries there are two things that concern me.

What is the climate like there? I currently live in one of the warmer neighborhoods of San Jose and would be unhappy in a costal climate like Pacific Grove. Are the summers in 93908 warm and sunny or are there a lot of coastal fog and cool days?

What is the impact of the crime problem in Salinas on this zip code? I have been reading the Salinas Californian and crime is obviously a serious issue there. Is it much of an issue in zip code 93908?

Answers

7
Steffie, Home Buyer, Salinas, CA
Fri Apr 17, 2009
The 93908 zip code is the best area of salinas as far as I am concerned. The weather stays pretty sunny all year round, and even when it is foggie and cold in other parts of salinas, it is usually warm. It is considered the sun belt. The schools are among the best in California and the crime rate is low compaired to other areas of Salinas. Hope this helps... I am buying a house in the 93908 zip code and LOVE the area.
Kerry Harvell, Agent, Monterey, CA
Fri Apr 17, 2009
Lou, you are looking in one of my favorite areas in Monterey County. I believe the weather there is a great balance of warm and cool. Not too hot, and not too cold. As a matter of fact, wine grapes grow really well there. I would say the weather is a lot like Napa Valley.

On the crime issue, I have not heard of many problems in that area. It doesn't mean it can't happen, but that area is safer than much of San Jose.

If you have young children, I highly recommend the Washington School District there. I felt my daughter was well educated.
Saladbowlpri…, , Salinas, CA
Wed Apr 15, 2009
Salinas has a HUGE crime problem the town well mostly in the 93906 and 93905 the eastside and north.
theres been 12 homicides this year. lots of gangsters. the weather is perfect i think. it never too hot but sometimes cold. THE WEATHER TODAY was windy its been windy lately but its not like that all the time.
the average weather tempature for salinas is 68 degrees.
in the summer its hot never too hot its cool just around 70 80 90 if we get lucky it will close to 100 haha.
the weather its suppose to be cold wen its suppose to be cold and hot wen its suppose to be hot. HOPE I HELPED.
Bev, , Corral de Tierra, CA
Sat Apr 11, 2009
We lived in Corral de Tierra towards the back of the loop. It is very quiet and the weather is wonderful-not to hot or cold most of the time (70's to 80's). Often, we drive to Monterey and hit fog on 68 when our house was absolutely fine. It is not as windy back off of 68 on San Benancio and Corral de Tierra Road. Crime seems to be non existent-unless you park you car at 4 corners to go for a hike--sometimes there are car break ins.

There are nice homes with lots of land. Nice people too.

Carmel Valley is more windy and has black flies. We drive there everyday so we know the difference.
Gtojohnny, Home Buyer, Salinas, CA
Wed Apr 8, 2009
Crime is not a problem in that area. However, wind is.
Maureen Mason, Agent, Pacific Grove, CA
Thu Mar 12, 2009
Lou-
These are both good questions, although one is easier to answer than the other. The Hwy 68 area is quite warm in the summer months unlike the coast. There is sometimes a 15-20 degree difference between Pacific Grove and Hwy 68 in July and August. There will be wind during the summer, however, up on top of the hills and through the 68 corridor.
The 68 corridor is an unincorporated county area, not a city of Salinas area. Therefore, crime stats will be under the purview of the Monterey County Sheriff's Office. I'm giving you the link here http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/SHERIFF/

Maureen Mason
Web Reference:  http://www.maureenmason.com
Curt Abramson, Agent, Santa Cruz, CA
Thu Mar 12, 2009
Lou, Curt Abramson from Bailey Properties here. To answer your climate question, although the area you've targeted is less foggy and coastal than Pacific Grove, it is also much cooler than SJ overall. There is also a fair amount of wind that can affect the entire Salinas Valley. If you pick a location high up in the range above Corral de Tierra or Carmel Valley, you'll probably find it warmer than down in the areas closer to the valley floor.

On the crime issue, the best thing to do is look on one of the websites that offer statistics; Trulia has some info here: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Salinas-California/communi… that might be helpful or serve as a starting point. There are several gated communities in the area that offer an additional measure of security, if that is your concern. The gang violence that gets the attention in the news media tends to be more concentrated in the urban areas, from what I've read and seen on local TV.

Good luck in your search - there are lots of great areas on the Central Coast to consider. I'm sure you'll find the right spot.