I have heard that insurance costs in Galveston Tiki Island is a mortgage payment each month. Is that true?

Asked by Chris, Galveston, TX Sun Jul 29, 2012

Answers

13
Joeciancimino, Home Buyer, Galveston, TX
Tue Feb 2, 2016
LIARS AND THIEVES

Waste of your time and money. Unless you have the time and layers to battle them in court, you will never get enough money back from a claim to even pay for the following years insurance rate. Hurricane Ike, they refused all claims outright until you brought them into a lawsuit.
Jordana Belt, Agent, Houston, TX
Sun Feb 1, 2015
Unfortunately, living on the coast does carry some extra costs. Mortgage companies will require you to carry all three policies...home, wind and flood. Shop around for home and wind insurance to find the best price. Flood insurance is regulated and won't vary from company to company to much.

Whether or not it is worth it is up to the individual. I love being able to walk along the beach every morning to the additional cost is well worth it.

Best of luck to you Chris.

Jordana
guess if you like an extra mortgage payment to add onto the principal one then living in galveston is just dandy. guess it separates the haves and have nots. recommend leasing for any stay in that region because the insurance companies will murder you with premiums,
Flag Sun Jul 3, 2016
Actually Wind Insurance is written through the State of Texas through TWIA and these rates are also set and will not vary. The only rate to shop around for is the fire policy which is usually under $1,000.
Flag Sat Aug 29, 2015
Gary Birtles, , Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Nov 6, 2014
It depends on the company you go with. I recommend shopping around a bit. I think that would be the best way to get an idea of price. I hope you find a great deal Chris. http://www.idrisinsurance.com/insurance.htm
Steve Smiley, Home Buyer, Red Oak, TX
Thu Mar 13, 2014
I am considering buying a home in San Leon flood zone A12 what does that mean in terms of insurance needs and mortgage?
Mike H, Home Buyer, 77554
Wed Jan 15, 2014
To add to my last comment,, like I said we only owe 79,000 but no insurance company will let me insure it for 100,000. They use their formula multiplied by your square footage. Nobody would write a policy for less than 356,000 coverage on my house. I couldn't sell it for 150,000, I tried. Looks to me like that would be insurance companies committing insurance fraud against themselves. When you stand to gain 272,000 dollars if a hurricane takes your house away something's wrong! Our house is not in a flood zone and we have elevation certificate to show that, so it doesn't really matter.
I think they are calculating replacement value.....That might be why they are pricing it that way.
Flag Wed Jan 15, 2014
Mike H, Home Buyer, 77554
Wed Jan 15, 2014
We owe 79,000 on our house, the principle and interest is 347.00 and the total payment is 974.00 after insurance and taxes are added to the payment. COMPLETELY STUPID! Insurance companies OWN America and it keeps getting worse.
I think Tom makes a good point above. They are calculating replacement value at the current value to build at CURRENT CODE. That's why it's so expensive.
Flag Thu Oct 9, 2014
unktootie, Home Buyer, Galveston, TX
Fri Dec 27, 2013
I recently tried to by a home at Tiki. I called it off when I was quoted $7,198 for flood $3,600 for wind & hail, $1,547 for Home owners. Total of $12,345 a year. The agent that has insured this house for last 2 owners told me to expect the premium to DOUBLE OR QUADRUPLE WITH IN 2 YEARS. That would make the insurance and taxes in the $45k to $50k a year. You people are in for a shock when your insurance comes up for renewal in 2014. The elevation makes no difference, The deductible increase only saves you a couple of hundred. Fema will only allow you to go to $5k deductible.
Cs, Home Seller, Tiki Island, TX
Sat Aug 11, 2012
I own a house on Tiki and yes - the property tax plus insurance are just a bit more than the mortgage payment each month. I have owned there since 2001 so the mortgage is probably smaller than if buying today. The upsides are no TX state income tax (which is why prop tax is so much) and properties are much cheaper than other areas I have lived (NY, CA, HI etc)
linda landrum, Agent, Galveston, TX
Mon Jul 30, 2012
It depend on the Property, There are a few homes that may be considered in the flood zone A12, Most are in the V20 zone. It also, depends on the elevation of the house, the amount of enclosure down and the use of the enclosure down. Flood is currently the most expensive part of the insurance cost. Windstorm is next and the price of those policys can be cut in half by doing higher deductables. Last is the Homeowners and it is the least expensive.. So, you have to pick a house, check the tax's and ins cost owner is paying currently, you can also request an elevation certificate and have an insurance agent est policy costs. Everyone in Galveston County pays Windstorm, Homeowners. So yes you will pay in addition the cost of flood insurance on a home on Tiki, if you have a lender it is required. Hope this helps? - do you have an agent?
Tommy Burris, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Baton Rouge, LA
Sun Jul 29, 2012
Not that much.
But it is quite a bit more than us land locked folks.

Pick a house..... Call an insurance agent.... Price it out!!!

Tom Burris
Mortgage Banker
DallasLoanGuy.com
(214) 763-4629 cell/text/nights/weekends(Really!!)
tomburris@dallasloanguy.com
Lending all across the entire Great State of Texas!!
NMLS# 335055
Search Dallas area MLS for FREE. No registration => http://www.ntreisinnovia.net/cgi-ntr/BR_login?0501134
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sun Jul 29, 2012
Insurance for homes along ANY coastal location will be expensive due to potential damage to the home based on weather events.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
Terry Custer, Agent, Galveston, TX
Sun Jul 29, 2012
Although insurance in the coastal areas is somewhat higher, it certainly isn't as much as a morgage payment. I just sold a home on Tiki Island to an Insurance Broker. What I learned from him is that it is crucial to shop around. Some quotes were twice as much as others for the same coverage. And if you want a comparison, his new home was in the $300,000 range and his coverage for Windstorm, Flood and home Owners was approimately $6200 a year. However, you should not use this as an indication as to what yours may be. The same home with ground level additions or at a different elevation could be drastically different. The best way to see if a particular homes insurance cost is to obtain the elevation certificate for that property and take that to the insurance broker of your choice. With that certificate they can give you a comprehensive quote. I hope this answers your question. I am attaching a link (you may have to copy and paste from this site) that should answer many of your questions about the incorporated Village of Tiki Island. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

http://www.villageoftikiisland.org/

Terry Custer
936-232-2325
Jason Keeling, Agent, GALVESTON, TX
Sun Jul 29, 2012
Chris, if you're interested in a particular home, call a local insurance agent and they will happily give you a quote. Rates vary greatly, so be certain to call several companies. If you'd like to see a particular home or would like me to assist you in searching, please feel free to contact me anytime, I'd be honored to work with you.