Eve Taylor, Home Buyer in Warminster, PA

I have great credit and 20% down payment - but can I get a mortgage for under 30K ?

Asked by Eve Taylor, Warminster, PA Tue Jul 2, 2013

Answers

2
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Tue Jul 2, 2013
Typically not, most lenders don't want to go through all the paperwork for a loan under $50,000. If you have access to one I'd suggest speaking with a credit union.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Tue Jul 2, 2013
Challenging. Most loans that are written must conform to the standards necessary to be resold, and the 30K threshold may be a factor in reducing the saleability of the loan. The costs of processing a loan for that amount may cause some banks to have less or no interest. Banks which hold their loans in their own portfolio, versus selling their loans, have greater flexibility in the approval process. That doesn't mean that a bank writing a portfolio loan will be interested, but at least they have the capability of determining their own criteria. Community and smaller banks sell some of their loans and often carry some loans on their books as portfolio loans, so that may be a better route to investigate.