I have found a home, made an offer, offer accepted, secured the loan, title is clear...then today I am

Asked by Gaye, Cross Plains, TX Thu Feb 14, 2008

discussing things with the banker....I left my husband over 10 years ago, but never got a divorce. We haven't been in touch in over 5 years....what kind of problems might I be facing? I am in Texas, and the marriage was in Texas, but I left when in KS, I think he is in either Kansas or Missouri now.

Answers

4
Diantha Shaf…, , Killeen, TX
Sat Feb 16, 2008
Texas is a community property state. Ask you lender for a referral to an attorney (or if you have a Realtor, ask them for a referral).
Becky Alexan…, Home Seller, Mount Horeb, WI
Fri Feb 15, 2008
I am not a lawyer, but I would make sure this is resolved before you close on your new home. It may be as simple and filing papers.
There are quite a few free legal advice websites that can give you direction.
P.S. congrats! on the purchase of your new home.
Kathy Carter, , Bergen County, NJ
Thu Feb 14, 2008
As marital right vary from state to state I sugest that you call your real estate attorney immediately!
Craig McMahan, , Tampa and Central Pasco including Land O Lakes, Lutz, and Wesley Chapel
Thu Feb 14, 2008
Many states would require your husband to sign the mortgage on the new property. He wouldn't necessarily be on the title or the note but likely have to sign the mortgage. I suggest consulting with a real estate or divorce attorney as there could be many other legal issues involved.
HUH??!?!! It has been many years since a wife needed to have her husband sign for her to buy a house!!! Both spouses do not have to be on the mortgage!!
Flag Sat Aug 19, 2017