I have fill out a sellers disclosure for a condo. The disclosure asks about signs of water in the basement.

Asked by KateinMichigan, Detroit, MI Thu Aug 15, 2013

I have a dry basement but one time there was a huge rain downpour for several hours and the drain to the city sewer backed up in my basement. It was only with a small amount of rain water, maybe a 5 ft x 5 ft square area about 1/4 inch deep.The condo association sent out a drain rooter company and they came and cleaned the drain and that was it and there was no more water after that.They said it may have had a root in the drain. Most of the other condos nearby also had a drain back up during that rain. Is this considered "water in the basement" or does that mean moldy or wet walls or water leaks from the walls?

Answers

3
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Aug 15, 2013
All you need to do, Kate, is give the next buyer the information that you would want to have when you bought the place. Write exactly what you told us on the disclosure form (on a separate page, probably), and call it good.
Haig Istambo…, Agent, Rochester, MI
Thu Aug 15, 2013

The motto that most Realtors go by is "If in doubt, disclose it ! " Write a short explanation in the remarks section or add a side note with the explanation. That will be full disclosure for you. You may even ask the association for a copy of the receipt to be safe, in case you are asked for one.

I hope this helps,

HAIG
(248) 379-6547
realtorhaig@aol.com
Karen Paytas, Agent, Clinton Twp, MI
Thu Aug 15, 2013
The question on our Sellers disclosure is "has there been evidence of water". If you answer no that would be in my opinion incorrect. I would rather be honest and explain the situation than be dishonest and have the possibility of it coming back to haunt you.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com