I have decided to buy my neighbors house in Milton GA. He has his agent but I don't. I need an agent to do

Asked by Sandy, Georgia Thu Aug 21, 2008

these:
1. Assessment of the offer if it is unbelievable, very good, okay, Not Acceptable?
2. Guidance on the steps that I need to follow. Review of the contracts etc., if warranted.
3. A referral for an independent home inspector.
4. Anything else that I should be consulting with an agent regarding this purchase.
How much should an agent charge me for the above steps?
Regards - Sandy.

Answers

2
Sandy, Home Buyer, Georgia
Thu Aug 21, 2008
Thanks Susan. However, my neighbor is already giving me 3% discount for not having an agent. I guess he will only be paying his agent either 3 or 4% instead of regular 6 or 7%. To get a piece of mind, I am willing to pay to my agent/guide from my pocket for the steps. I'm pretty certain, in my case a 3% of the sale price is not warranted from my pocket. Hence, I'm looking for a ball park range b4 I go looking for an agent.
Susan Wesely, , Saint Paul, MN
Thu Aug 21, 2008
Sandy - Congratulations! You are planning to take the right step in getting your own agent to complete your purchase. If your neighbor has listed his house, he is already under contract to pay the listing agent a commission. The listing agent will split that commission with your Buyer agent, so the buyer agent should not charge you anything. S/he may want you to sign a representation contract that will specifiy that you pay a commission. You should ensure that this contract has wording which specifies that the Buyer Agent will accept payment from the seller or seller's broker in lieu of payment from you. The Buyer agent may also provide you with referrals for financing, if you need them. Best of luck!