I have been separated for over a year and want to buy a new home. How can I do this without the soon to be ex having a claim on the property?

Asked by Nadine Chayo Massarelli, Concord, NC Thu Apr 26, 2012

We live in NC

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ed Swindell, , 27534
Fri Apr 27, 2012
Although a lot of folks, including Realtors, have personal experience dealing with the question you ask, your best bet is to consult the attorney that handled your separation. A cost of a one hour consultation with an attorney is relatively nothing compared to the legal fees that could be spent fighting property settlement in court.
1 vote
Andy Matejka, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Greensboro, NC
Thu Apr 26, 2012
Has your Separation Agreement been legally recorded?

Does it clearly state that your ex-spouse shall have no claim to any new (yadda, yadda, yadda, this is where you need to speak with an attorney) property in your name?

Consult an Attorney.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Goldsboro Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more