I have been renting an illegal apt , in a basement of a one family house. We have no Kitchen, no windows

Asked by pttdondon, Walpole, MA Tue Oct 1, 2013

Things have become very strained , when 1. they let there drug addicted son move in ( it was suppose to be temp.) but he is still here , we have things missing all the time, eventually my son who lived in the main house who paid rent was asked to leave ( given 3 days notice) so that the son could have a "real"room. There are 3 of us in the basement myself (mother) my college age daughter, and my high school daughter.. We want to move , but need to save money to move,we can't do both,, pay them , and save to move. They in the beginning were using my money as drug money. I only just found out how bad the drugs are upstairs.. we really want to move but need time to find some place..

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Tue Oct 1, 2013
You are in a bad and illegal situation! GET OUT ASAP.

If money is an issue I would suggest you contact a non profit women shelter. Many of them can assist you with temp housing and provide referrals for low cost move in housing.

Please do not confront them, do not make a fuss just get the HECK out!!!

You are at risk of injury plus if drugs are on the property and by chance there is a raid by law enforcement ALL adults on premises will be subject to arrest.

Please think of safety and get out!

Best Regards,
Kawain payne, Realtor
2 votes
Henry Mcnealy, Agent, MEDFIELD, MA
Tue Oct 1, 2013
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR IN A VERY BAD PLACE TO HAVE KIDS . Call the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Walpole Town Hall, but no matter who they will want you out of the place. Pack whatever personal things that matter to you and make the calls. Wish I had better news but as you know living were your are is wrong legally and no organization is going to let you stay there after they have been informed about it. I know you are trying to save but get out. Good luck be safe Hope your life startes to get better for you and your kids soon.
2 votes
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Sat Nov 23, 2013
I would use a local rental professional to save time and money and also to make sure you don't miss a great rental.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
1 vote
Steve Casey, Agent, Walpole, MA
Sun Dec 8, 2013
Get out as fast as you can. You may think you are stuck but in reality you're worse off not getting out immediatly.
0 votes
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Tue Oct 1, 2013
Go to the nearest Salvation Army.
Share your story.
Make absolutely certain EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS TRUTHFUL regarding all the questions you will be asked. They can find you emergency temporary housing and very likely long term residential housing. There's a catch.
Nobody is going to allow you to stay in your currenr situation. You will need to agree and be enthusiastily willing to get job traing they will arrange. If there exits reason for them to believe your daughter or your son will be used to prevent you from adhering to the program, you will find you will be left on your own.
You are in a tough spot. I don't know how you got there, and I don't need to know. The conditions that caused your situation must no longer exist or are able to be eliminated from your environment.
To whom much will be given, much will be expected. Are you ready?

The Red Cross may prove helpful also.
0 votes
Greer Swiston, Agent, Newton, MA
Tue Oct 1, 2013
Your health and safety should be your top priority. Here are your tenant rights: http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/docs/tenantsrights.pdf

Report your landlord (your town's Inspectional services as well as health services should care) and potentially seek temporary shelter elsewhere. You may want to contact the Walpole Housing Authority http://www.walpole-ma.gov/walpole-housing-authority

I don't know what you're paying for rent, but you should be able to find a safe apartment somewhere, possibly a less convenient area ... your living environment sounds extremely dangerous ... I suggest that you "save" somewhere else.

Please be safe. Good luck.
0 votes
BTW you are actually under no obligation to pay rent for an illegal apartment. which also sounds like a fire trap. I repeat, get out ASAP
Flag Sun Nov 24, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Walpole Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more