I have a realtor and mortgage broker but my realtor isn't providing the services they should. What can I do?

Asked by Lily, Orlando, FL Thu Feb 19, 2009

Every home that they have looked up have only been ones ive already looked at and suggested. Also they are never available to answer my questions . I am wondering if I can find a new realtor and still keep my mortgage broker or do I have to find both all over again. Thank You to all who answer my question.

Answers

11
Pat Haddad, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Fri Feb 20, 2009
Hi Lily--It sounds as if you have not signed a buyer agreement, so it should be easy enough. Simply locate the realtor with whom you want to work and let them contact the other realtor with the news. While most realtors do have preferred lenders we trust and refer our clients to, you should still be able to work with the same lender and not have to start the whole process over again.

When locating an out of state realtor for one of my clients, I first try to find a realtor with a good internet presence/successful website. Next I want one with either a CRS or GRI designation which tells me they are experienced and knowledgeable. (I would be happy to help locate a realtor for you)

In fairness to the first realtor, do you have a broad enough criteria so many homes match or is there a possibility that you are trying to find a very unusual property? I have worked with people where there have only been a few homes matching what they have told me. Your realtor should have you set up on a search so that you are automatically notified when new matches appear. They should also check their e-mail regularly and respond at least in a 24 hour period.

Good luck Lily!
Rick Aguirre, Agent, Orlando, FL
Fri Feb 20, 2009
Lily,
Time to move on,you can keep who you wish.
Rick.
Gay Middleton, , Orlando, FL
Fri Feb 20, 2009
Lily
So sorry, hit the enter button too soon. See below for website info.
Thank you again
Gay Middleton
407 493 3699
Web Reference:  http://www.gaymiddleton.com
Gay Middleton, , Orlando, FL
Fri Feb 20, 2009
Hi Lily,
Not much more I can provide here. Realtors are basically unemployed between closings and every customer is a job interview and when we are hired we are expected to perform the job functions. What happens if you do not perform at your job? Usually you get a warning or two and then you may get fired. So you too can fire and rehire. It is common courtesy to work with only one Realtor at one time. If you have given your current Realtor sufficient warnings let him/her know right away in writing (email ok) that you will no longer require their services. You may want to CC the broker of the office. You can call the office and ask for the Brokers name and email.

Then you rehire. That involves interviews which could be an email contact, a phone call with 2-3 Realtors. Discuss your needs, area of interest and make sure the Realtor you choose has some experience in the area you are looking. Make sure the Realtor is FULL TIME and that they listen to you. A Realtor that does all the talking may not be hearing you. You can start here on Trulia, there are many good Realtor contacts myself included. I invite you to click on my name and email or visit my website for more information. I do wish you the best and I am so happy we can be of service to you here in this forum.

Gay Middleton
Realtor/Sales Specialist
Kathy Robert…, Agent, Lake Mary, FL
Fri Feb 20, 2009
Hi Lily,

I agree with the answer Mike Thomas gave you. Some agents will have you sign a buyer agreement; however if you are unhappy with that agent you should talk to he/her broker. Real estate is a relationship business and in running our business we will always allow a buyer or seller to release themselves from any agreement if their situation changes or if they are unhappy in any way. You need to have confidence in with the agent you are working with.

Good luck and if there is anything we can help you with, please feel free to contact us.
Ania Miller, Agent, Millersville, MD
Fri Feb 20, 2009
Not all Agents and Brokers are the same. In the future, interview at least a few before you select one that you will sign a Buyers agreement with. Your expectations should be set up front and communicated to the Agent.
The selected Agent will be interviewing you just as you are interviewing them. Not everyone is a perfect match to work with.
If you are not happy, write your concerns in a letter format, give this letter to the broker and see how he is she can fix the problem.
Web Reference:  http://www.aniamiller.com
David Welch, Agent, Winter Park, FL
Fri Feb 20, 2009
Lily,

If you do decide to make a change, I recommend interviewing at least a couple of agents. Be sure to let them know what needs were not being met by the first agent. That way you can come to an agreement on the service level and your expectations.
Mike Thomas, Agent, Shrewsbury, PA
Thu Feb 19, 2009
In this market you will have no problem finding an agent that will work hard for you. The question is, have you entered into any type of buyers agency? If you have not signed anything you should be able to pick another agent without issue. If you think you may have entered in to any type of buyers agency you will want to contact the broker and ask to be re-asigned. Don't worry about doing this and hurting your agents feelings, they are working with you and your money you have every right to go after the service you deserve.

Your mortgage broker should be seperate even if they are affiliated with your Realtors brokerage. Just use caution changing agents, make sure you have not entered in to any type of buyer agency before you proceed. Good Luck !!!!
Michael Smith, Agent, Orlando, FL
Thu Feb 19, 2009
If you are currently under contract there is very little that can be done. If you are not under contract you can simply terminate the agent and find another.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Thu Feb 19, 2009
You can split you have right do business with anyone. If realtor is not providing service either speak with them OR request for their broker terminate your buyers agreement.

Realtor should be available within reasonable hours our Dallas Real Estate office phones are answered up to 8 pm M - F and 9 -6 Sat & Sun

Great Question
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Brady Peveho…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Thu Feb 19, 2009
Lily,
The answer to your question resides within your agreement with your current agent. If there is no written agreement then there is no harm interviewing other agents.
If you are unsure if you have an agreement, once you interview other agents, you may ask them to review any paperwork that your current agent has provided.

There should be no reason your mortgage broker would need to change for any reason since they are a completely different entity.

If worse comes to worse your future agent may elect to compensate your current agent a small referral fee but usually this is not required as long as you are not under legal obligation and you are looking at different homes.

Buying and selling homes is a serious issue and you should feel you are getting your moneys worth and the attention to detail that you deserve.